Ticking/Tapping noise!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"and I put some marvel mystery oil and it actually helped it!"

Marvel Mystery oil didnt make a leaking oring in the oil pan better.

I suspect valve train noise. Likely a lifter bleeding down. Heads have to be pulled to fix this one so better off sticking a long block with a warranty or a used engine than spending money on a well used engine. (all assuming owner wishes to keep the vehicle and drive it until the wheels fall off). Used gen 3 engines are getting harder and harder to find with low miles on them since they havent been used in new vehicles since 2007.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After that many miles, I would image there is a good amount of wear on the cam lobes, lifters and valve stems. A little here, a little there... Add it all up and might be enough to make a noticeable tick or tap.

Sticky valve lifters can make noise like that too. If they stick a little, they don't keep pace with the movement of the cam lobe and valve. They tick/tap when one of those three things finally makes contact with the moving cam.

Cleaning deposits can help with ticking, if it does happen to be sticky valves/lifters.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the Tahoes have the added fun of having their oil pan dropped by the 4x4 system, like on the Suburbans and Silverados? That definitely increases labor cost.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive a 2006 chevy Tahoe 5.3 V8, currently, it has 314,526 miles. It has this ticking or tapping noise... and I put some marvel mystery oil and it actually helped it! But I want to know what the root cause is! I've read it has something to do with the oil O ring pickup tube! But I do not have low oil pressure... but I do have a small oil leak!
Should I just take it to the dealer?
If you are in the DFW area, I have a really good mechanic I can recommend to you.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d like this info.. I’m a couple hours from DFW, but always appreciate good referrals
Metro Champion Auto Repair. Not only is he a good mechanic, he is honest; he may not be the cheapest guy out there, but he is not the most expensive, either -- and he stands behind his work. http://metrochampion.com/index.html

If that isn't good enough, my daughters take their cars to him and they like him.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Metro Champion Auto Repair. Not only is he a good mechanic, he is honest; he may not be the cheapest guy out there, but he is not the most expensive, either -- and he stands behind his work. http://metrochampion.com/index.html

If that isn't good enough, my daughters take their cars to him and they like him.
Excellent! Thank you Sir! Honest mechanics are worth every penny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan