Ticking noise coming from engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tirekicker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
gotcha. Thanks man. Here I am reading this forum with my face in my hands as I walked away from a perfectly good 06 Z71 Tahoe with 180k miles.
if you give it a chance i think you will really like the k2 platform ....you just have to understand how its tuned and other differences from the earlier models...and are actually really good despite what some people on the forums say

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a 2015 Yukon and it is making this tickin noise. Repetitive and rhythmic. Does it from cold to warm. Cant hear it inside the cab. Ive read the threads here that say its normal.

Question: if it is a stuck lifter, will it throw a code/check engine light?
it will misfire if it bothers you just turn up the RADIO :) that is the fix for most engine issues

Cottonseed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No misfires at the moment. Engine and trans silky smooth. I’ll be doing a trans flush soon and adding the Mobil 1 blue label. I do my own oil changes to save $, so I’ll probably do that and put in a quality oil. Will probably delete the afc as well.

Eric Dortch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have anyone had any experience using, or advice about using sea foam in a 2015 Yukon?

badtothe bone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys I need some advice. I have a 2015 Yukon and when I sart the engine I hear a ticking noise. It is really loud under the drivers side wheel. It doesn't stop either when the car gets going. I hear it if I'm stopped and the windows down. I took to Chevy dealer and the lead mechanic told me that's normal because of the new motor and pistons they use. It is really freaking annoying. I want to take to another dealer since it is under warranty still. Let me know if they do make this noise or what you guys think the problem is. Thanks for any advice.

J
Im confused, this is a truck forum. What do you mean by car?

Pittz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its completely normal everyone. Some do it, some don't. My 2015 has been doing it since new and it is now tuned. Runs better than new.

I have a fleet of these Tahoe/Sub 5.3's at work and it is hit or miss with the ticking. We run the dog **** out of these things and they do not skip a beat.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its completely normal everyone. Some do it, some don't. My 2015 has been doing it since new and it is now tuned. Runs better than new.

I have a fleet of these Tahoe/Sub 5.3's at work and it is hit or miss with the ticking. We run the dog **** out of these things and they do not skip a beat.
This make me feel even better about my Tahoe. Plan on putting over 200K miles on it. In the first 100K miles just a a/c Condenser and Brake Booster. GM covered both issues immediately. Nothing else besides regular maintenance.

I only hear the ticking at the drive-thru bank with the window down. Do not hear it inside the cabin but I never drive with the windows open. Barely hear it after it is warmed up standing right next to it.

Eric Dortch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Excuse my newbiness, but, What do you mean by “tuned”?

ThisIsLivin

Reaction score
I bought a mechanics stethoscope from Harbor Freight, great investment. You can pinpoint noises precisely. I happened to remote start my Yukon when I was standing in front of it and noticed a ticking. I have it narrowed it down to #2 cylinder. I have disabled AFM, but I'm afraid I may need to pull the top end apart and replace the lifters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felixmontiel