Ticking noise, Check Engine Light, Collision alert turned off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cheyco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I left the grocery store and when I started my truck I heard a ,louder than normal, tick from the engine. Put it in drive and before I got out of the parking lot,
-I got a check engine light
-Collesion alert turned off
-Stuttering and vibration really bad.

Of course this has to happen 2 days before I start a 1500 mile journey home for the holidays.

Any ideas what may have caused this or has anyone experienced something similiar?

2016 Yukon Denali
41k miles

Thanks,

OP
OP
Cheyco

Cheyco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had the truck towed to dealer. Looks like #4 AFM lifter, They are replacing all AFM lifters on that side of the motor. Thats to bad to hear this ongoing issue with this motor.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the truck towed to dealer. Looks like #4 AFM lifter, They are replacing all AFM lifters on that side of the motor. Thats to bad to hear this ongoing issue with this motor.

Yep. Lifter 4 for me and a bent rod.

I’ve also had some injectors die too.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully, you got a loaner to use for your trip.

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a very similar issue occur this week. Had it towed to the dealership last night and today I got a call that is was my cams and lifters that went bad. :( Only 52k miles on the truck.

Surfergeek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just had this experience over the weekend.

We have only had our '16 Denali XL with the 6.2L since September of last year, as we purchased it as a Certified Used with over 53K on the clock. At 59K and some change, just as it was due for an oil change, check engine light, collision alert off, traction control off, very rough idle and very down on power.

Dropped at dealer as it was only a short distance from where we got the CEL and today they showed coolant in the oil.

They are going to do a leakdown test and tear down to determine the cause.

Love the truck, surprised to see this kind of engine problem at 60K miles. We'll see what happens, should all be covered under the CPO warranty.

Surfergeek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update:

There were thousands of misfires on cylinder 3/4, broken and bent rods, and metal shavings in the engine / oil.

Engine is being replaced with a full new engine under CPO warranty.

Odd that with all those misfires there was never a CEL until it was too late.

Surfergeek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Final Update: Read the docs from engine replacement, Cylinder 4 rod broken, the wall was scored and AFM Lifters were stuck. I suspect the AFM lifters caused the failure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442