Throttle body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flyboygt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For those who have swapped for a larger TB on '15+ 5.3L, where did you get it and which one did you put in? I've been searching and can't find much. Ive seen posts of LS7 swap or Corvette swap but no other info.

Thanks for the help

TooMuchTxn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a used 6.2 manifold and throttle body on ebay. Then i sent the throttle body to VMax to have it ported. I have a catch can so i could reroute the new clean side vent to the 6.2 manifolds different location. If you don't have a catch can and upgrade then you will also need to buy the 6.2 version of the positive crankcase vent tube to accommodate the different manifold location.

It worked fine after install but i went ahead and had blackbear give me a tune to adjust the Throttle Area Limits and Manifold Volume.

Edit - The '15+ L86 and the LT1 use the same throttle body. I think the LT4 uses a different part number.

Last edited:

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a used 6.2 manifold and throttle body on ebay. Then i sent the throttle body to VMax to have it ported. I have a catch can so i could reroute the new clean side vent to the 6.2 manifolds different location. If you don't have a catch can and upgrade then you will also need to buy the 6.2 version of the positive crankcase vent tube to accommodate the different manifold location.

It worked fine after install but i went ahead and had blackbear give me a tune to adjust the Throttle Area Limits and Manifold Volume.

Edit - The '15+ L86 and the LT1 use the same throttle body. I think the LT4 uses a different part number.

What are your impressions of this mod? Noticeable difference? Worth it?

OP
OP
Flyboygt

Flyboygt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of work. Was it worth it, is it breathing better? Seems like everyone leans to a Blackbear tune and intake rather than engine upgrades. I know throttle response is electronic and the tune helps along with better shifting. I know the tuning is a major role and necessary for the additions.

TooMuchTxn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of work. Was it worth it, is it breathing better? Seems like everyone leans to a
Blackbear tune and intake rather than engine upgrades. I know throttle response is electronic and the tune helps along with better shifting. I know the tuning is a major role and necessary for the additions.

I did all this along with the blackbear tune and it was very much worth it. Initially i tried moving to the LT1 intake off the corvette but that one was just too much trouble with the pullys and the downward facing throttle body etc. The 6.2 Truck manifold is 10 bolts and only took about 15 min to swap. Everything literally is plug and play. My AFE intake even came with the correct coupler for the larger 87mm throttle body. Made enough difference to notice it. It def breathes better with better throttle response. One thing i would note is that I did not simply bolt everything on and start it up. I had blackbear alter my tune so i had the new tune with the updated Throttle Area Limits and Manifold Volume at the time of install. So i cant speak to how it runs without tuning.

Having said that... I am building a stroked 6.2 right now (slowly) that I will swap in and so the 6.2 intake manifold will be needed regardless. If i hadn't been planning the 6.2 upgrade I don't know that I would have done the manifold and throttle body. I don't know if it made THAT much difference because it was about $350 for what I got (you could probably do it for 200 without throttle body porting service).

The only thing from all this that i would absolutely recommend 100% without any hesitation is a good catch can and a blackbear tune.

OP
OP
Flyboygt

Flyboygt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I found all the parts for about 250 which is not bad.

Is the intake manifold larger/more volume than the 5.3 manifold?

Do you have pictures of the ported T/B? Interested to see how far they went with porting.

Thanks

TooMuchTxn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I found all the parts for about 250 which is not bad.

Is the intake manifold larger/more volume than the 5.3 manifold?

Do you have pictures of the ported T/B? Interested to see how far they went with porting.

Thanks

Yes manifold is bigger volume. Ill see if i can remember to snap a pic tonight.

OP
OP
Flyboygt

Flyboygt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Found an interesting article on performance of the L83. Basically upgrading everything they can on engine except pistons to get 100 RWHP. The cost to get there from their website is almost $6k, doesn't seem worth it when a Whipple 2.9L S/C is $6750 with tune and you get 150 RWHP.
Great write up though. Lots of Dyno pulls showing gains on individual parts.

https://gwatneyperformance.com/l83-l86-na-performance-packages-100rwhp/

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The TB/manifold swap kit is worth it in terms of the HP gained in my opinion. Definitely doing this over the summer.

OP
OP
Flyboygt

Flyboygt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ya I can see the benefit to the manifold, TB, intake and BB tune. Especially since the manifold and TB are not very expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kracker456