Throttle body and transmission ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Random question.

I have been having some random high idling, not much but every now and then. Also my torque converter randomly unlocking between 50-55/60mph. Then it takes a few miles for it to lock back up.

I have read that a dirty throttle body can cause some of these issues.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

I'm planning on cleaning my TB next weekend but, need more info on why my converter randomly unlocks while cruising.

I'm also planning on some new plugs and wires. Though about new coil packs as well as injectors.

Thoughts?
Any info is much appreciated.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking I have two separate issues going on here.

Dirty TB and a tune-up and I'm not really sure with my trans. It drives fine accept when you are light on the throttle around 50/55 then it unlocks for some reason. Highway driving, no problems anything under 50 no problems.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Plus, what does the transmission fluid look like? Nice and red or dark? Last service? With filter? Flush the fluid?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Random question.

I have been having some random high idling, not much but every now and then. Also my torque converter randomly unlocking between 50-55/60mph. Then it takes a few miles for it to lock back up.

I have read that a dirty throttle body can cause some of these issues.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

I'm planning on cleaning my TB next weekend but, need more info on why my converter randomly unlocks while cruising.

I'm also planning on some new plugs and wires. Though about new coil packs as well as injectors.

Thoughts?
Any info is much appreciated.
MAF has more bearing on that than the throttle body, on the nbs they would start to get funky around 160k, not sure on these trucks where the failure point starts they changed design a couple years in as well, I put a new one on my 12 at around 89k just as a preventative measure. Had to many issue's with the maf in the past on multiple vehicles they can cause funky shifting, funky throttle, misfire, lean code, 02 codes, cat codes -when they go bad. Any decent transmission shop will note this as well
on my 00 had to change it a couple times over 300k+ miles minor shifting and throttle issue's
on my 03 the maf did all of the above, changed it and problem went away-completely
on my 04 we shotgunned the hell out of it and in the end it was also the dam maf
on my 05 it caused funky shifting 1 time and I knew to just change it and no problem since
not saying go throw money at a maf but I would clean it and keep it in mind if the problem persist's

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus, what does the transmission fluid look like? Nice and red or dark? Last service? With filter? Flush the fluid?

I was thinking about that. I need to go drive it around the block and get it up to temps and check the fluids.
I'll have to check my posts to see when it was done. It was last serviced when I replaced my rear main within the last 6-8 months.
No flush, drop pan with new gasket and filter.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MAF has more bearing on that than the throttle body, on the nbs they would start to get funky around 160k, not sure on these trucks where the failure point starts they changed design a couple years in as well, I put a new one on my 12 at around 89k just as a preventative measure. Had to many issue's with the maf in the past on multiple vehicles they can cause funky shifting, funky throttle, misfire, lean code, 02 codes, cat codes -when they go bad. Any decent transmission shop will note this as well
on my 00 had to change it a couple times over 300k+ miles minor shifting and throttle issue's
on my 03 the maf did all of the above, changed it and problem went away-completely
on my 04 we shotgunned the hell out of it and in the end it was also the dam maf
on my 05 it caused funky shifting 1 time and I knew to just change it and no problem since
not saying go throw money at a maf but I would clean it and keep it in mind if the problem persist's

I'm getting close to 250k miles and cleaned my MAF once. I'd be more inclined to replace it at this point than cleaning it.
I definitely appreciate the info and will more than likely replace it at this point.
I'm all about preventative maintenance.
Thanks Double, much appreciated

I'm curious if this will help with my surging in acceleration, drives me nuts.

Thanks guys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts