Thoughts on these wires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bear77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It also could be that the purple wire was left there in case you decided later on to add a back up cam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Z71Tahoe2004

Z71Tahoe2004

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments thus far on this.

Here's an update after I removed more of the trim and traced the wires back to their termination points.

Orange wire ran back to the headlight switch on the dash, where it was spliced into a greyish-brown and white striped wire. Can't find anything in the Haynes manual electrical diagrams that says what that grey-brown/white wire does, but assuming that's what was being used to power the auto-dim feature on the radio.

Purple wire ran back to just outside the kick panel fuse panel on the driver's side, where it was spliced into thicker gauge brown wire that runs from the fuse panel up into the steering column. Haven't gone after that one in any wire diagrams, so not sure what it does. The purple wire wasn't connected to anything on the radio end, so not sure why the installer would have done that).

The green wire was spliced into a similarly colored green wire near what I think is the BCM and a pretty large harness under the steering column. The original green wire was cut at the harness (where it originally ran up into the steering column) and left uncapped and uninsulated. The new green one the installer put in was connected to the green wire that continued up into the steering column. Comments in this thread have said the green wire might have been a vehicle speed sensor, but since it runs up to the steering column, not sure that's what it was.

Additional pictures are below.

I'm going to repair the wires that were cut or spliced so that they are in the original factory configurations. My only guess as to why the previous installer would have done that is because they were either avoiding the need to spend more time wiring up a PAC adaptor or trying to find ways to shortcut with previously installed equipment. Weird though, because doing it the right way would have meant they could have made more money off of me. Hmm....

Once the repairs are made, the new receiver is going in along with a PAC RP5-GM11 - which should do all the things the radio needs for full functionality without having to splice anything outside of what the harness calls for.

If anyone recognizes any issues or has any thoughts, weigh in. Appreciate the insight and the help!

IMG_6105.jpg IMG_6106.jpg IMG_6107.jpg

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The brown wire in the steering column/ignition switch harness is an accessory wire. The greyish or ivory colored wire with the brown stripe is indeed the illumination wire at the headlight switch. Could have also grabbed that wire that the AC control panel just below the radio, lol. As far as the green wire, I'm not 100% sure but I suspect that it's the data wire for the steering wheel controls.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scott touched on this: Green is usually a data circuit, so I'd look at it as that rather than a parking brake, VSS or SWC circuit exclusively.

There could have been multiple setups prior to you that may have used different styles of SWC interfaces.

You're on the right track reverting everything back to stock to work with a clean slate and modifying only what's needed for your new equipment. With all the interfaces available now, you shouldn't have to hardwire for the dimmer circuits. You can even get an interface that has the SWC built into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442