Thoughts on Rotella oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Cajun Jamie

Cajun Jamie

Reaction score
SW Louisiana (originally) and DFW area presently
https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/products/gas-truck-synthetic-engine-oil.html

Thanks all. For my 2002 Disco with the Bosch engine, it started to leak a little oil about 4-5 years ago and maybe 160k? When I switched to Rotella, the leaks stopped, she purred like a Kitten and with 180k now, the engine just loved it. I did replace the cats, however, again, the car is a 2002 and had lots of miles, so I was not concerned. Might have just been time for new cats. $200 and I had a pair of cats welded on at a local shop. Brought the old cats to the recycle man and got $60 back for them, so I was not unhappy.

That said, one thing Disco owners say is they wish the Rovers had come with a bullet-proof Chevy 5.3 engine. So, I don't want to mess up a good thing if these engines aren't as loving to Rotella. Sounds like the Rotella for gas engines is something to check out. Thanks!

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh, ( still on a learning curve)..... Is my 2005 / 5.3 an aluminum engine?

I haven't had to work on it yet...

Not likely. The L33 was offered in 2005-2006 for the Extended cab and 4-door Silverados and Sierras with 4WD. You've likely got an LM7 or L59. Check your RPO sheet.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to ask. Do these trucks have crush washers on the oil pan bolt? If so, any idea what size?

Not originally. If anything, they'd have a neoprene or nitrile inset gasket, I've never paid much attention. I think the diameter of the shank is 12mm.

TahoYukon Forum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
From my experience as a truck driver, rottella is it is high in detergents and will clean internals really well. I used 2ice in my 03 5.3 and it got cloudy very quickly (200k). Changed after 400 MLS and then again last year (260k) and it took another 200-300 miles to get cloudy, then settled down and looked the same for the next 5k MLS. Cats were old and it did cause the cat code. I was planning to replace cats anyway so I didn't care about that part. An old trucker said to me a long time ago to change to rottella and change when gets cloudy and the milage would increase after each cleaning. 1rst was 100-200mls, next change would take 400-600 MLS and so on, but that was B4 the electronics age. Essentially cleans the carbon buildup. Works best in summer as a side note.
Hope this helps.

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
I use Rotella T6 in my 2007. I'm still on first oil change of ownership but I also ran T6 in my old S10. I've been very happy with the oil. Mainly use it because I do drive a lot on the highway and its not uncommon to make the drive from Oregon to SoCal. In my S10 I'd only have to stop once or twice so I wanted a little heavier weight on the hot side. S10 really loved it- Tahoe seems to too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Run4st