Thoughts on MPG?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
jakcol997

jakcol997

Reaction score
yikes. yeah I wish I had a garage or driveway even to do that myself.. I am seriously contemplating just putting a new engine in it, the one I have is stock from the factory with almost 250K on it. my trans only has like 83K on it.. I want it to last as long as possible, and finish fixing it up! Looking at rockauto, all my codes MIGHT be able to be fixed for around $200 granted I don't need to do fuel injection swap to the newer style, and I don't need new cats. But I plan on replacing the EGR Valve, O2 sensors (all of em) coolant sensor, thermostat, ect.. most of it seems pretty easy, and VERY accessible, compared to the oil pressure sensor I just did a few weeks ago.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
crate engine from rock auto is 1400 bucks how many codes do you have?

OP
OP
jakcol997

jakcol997

Reaction score
When they Oreillys scanned it. 15, some were duplicates. 9 total though

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive noticed I am usually able to get around 10-12 MPG, but lately, im getting 6.8... is there any sort of suggestions/mods I can do to save my wallet the heartache??? I'm open to ANYTHING. once I get the extra $270, I'll more than likely get the newer injector. Just have to save up a bit!

Aero mods? would get you better mpg...

inflate the tires to 40-42PSI you will get free boost for $0 Cost..
upto 10% better MPG (Don't use 42psi if the weather is bad i.e rain)
i have mine at 42PSI it helps me reach the target of 31.5mpg on the highway... gas prices are still pretty high at $3.03 being the cheapest

Last edited:

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I’d get an online subscription to alldatadiy.com. It’s about $30/year and has the factory diagnostic charts for each of those codes.

At a glance, one is for the coolant temperature sensor and two others are for EGR, I’d start with those first. The random misfire code (P0300) may be a result of the others. One is also an oxygen sensor and another for catalyst efficiency, those two may be related (the oxygen sensor code being the result of a damaged converter) which itself may be a result of an upstream fuel issue. I think one of those codes was for a lean condition.

So, I’d start with the subscription, go through the tables and I’d bet it clears up your issue. Or, if you can track down a 1997 service manual it would have the same info. A scan of the 1998 is available here, it may be worth trying that first.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95-service-manuals.43575/

OP
OP
jakcol997

jakcol997

Reaction score
Crazy enough, doing a coolant flush, replacing the thermostat, coolant temp sensor & pressure sensor got rid of all but 1 of those codes!! All that’s left is one for my exhaust

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts