Thinking of Buying a 00-06 NBS Tahoe/Suburban? Look Here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kirth Gersen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As to why "Correction: Replace all the intake manifold bolts" about the only thing that makes sense to me, is if the female threads are through-holes (not blind) into the lifter valley, or into the head's rocker arm area.
Then,
- intake manifold vacuum, combined with
- faulty or no sealant on bolt threads
might suck oil into the intake..
But I'm not familiar with big blocks, so this could be a completely wrong theory.
Anyway, I'm going to pass up on that 2001 8.1L, unless the seller lowers price $1500 to allow for dealer removing top half of engine to replace gaskets & bolts per TSB ... unless seller can prove the work was already done. I don't see how seller can "prove" to me the truck doesn't burn oil.

bayareadude84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Overlooked a MAJOR flaw on these 5.3/6.0 engines !!!! Not sure if its been mentioned yet ??

But around Jan my oil PSI on my 01 5.3 with 250K miles went down BAD to like 15-20 PSI, Engine knocking and my "check engine oil pressure alert" came on was about to have a HEART ATTACK !!!. Luckily I have 2 ASE mechanics "On call" they checked it out. The problem ended up being the oil pickup tube O ring and new oil pan gasket.

Luckily I get parts at wholesale $40 total in parts and $75 labor :D

Now oil PSI is good again and no more leaks and no more knocking !!!

Dave

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Overlooked a MAJOR flaw on these 5.3/6.0 engines !!!! Not sure if its been mentioned yet ??

But around Jan my oil PSI on my 01 5.3 with 250K miles went down BAD to like 15-20 PSI, Engine knocking and my "check engine oil pressure alert" came on was about to have a HEART ATTACK !!!. Luckily I have 2 ASE mechanics "On call" they checked it out. The problem ended up being the oil pickup tube O ring and new oil pan gasket.

Luckily I get parts at wholesale $40 total in parts and $75 labor :D

Now oil PSI is good again and no more leaks and no more knocking !!!

Dave

I believe it is a known issue (see thread links below). I don't know if I would call it a "flaw" that an o-ring went bad on a 17 year old motor with a quarter million miles on it.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/no-oil-pressure-at-start-up-2001-tahoe.67664/

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/chasing-low-oil-pressure.99686/

bayareadude84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it is a known issue (see thread links below). I don't know if I would call it a "flaw" that an o-ring went bad on a 17 year old motor with a quarter million miles on it.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/no-oil-pressure-at-start-up-2001-tahoe.67664/

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/chasing-low-oil-pressure.99686/

Not sure if miles and or age having anything to do with it. But 3 ASE local mechanics and the master senior tech @ my local GM dealer said it was a FLAW and COMMON issue with our engines

05alive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really a flaw.
It wore out, all seals do. If you've only replaced that o ring and pan gasket by 250k, get ready for a lot more "Major Flaws"

Pinion seals, door seals, manifold gaskets, intake gaskets, head gaskets, valley pan gaskets, etc all fail on all vehicles.

bayareadude84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really a flaw.
It wore out, all seals do. If you've only replaced that o ring and pan gasket by 250k, get ready for a lot more "Major Flaws"

Pinion seals, door seals, manifold gaskets, intake gaskets, head gaskets, valley pan gaskets, etc all fail on all vehicles.

Yes I know ALL vehicles will leak at some time due to age/mileage

Bought my 01 with 195K miles fall of 2014, So far it's been @ GM dealers several time for for recall/Inspections since then and so far all I needed seal wise was the pickup tube O ring, Oil pan, Oil filter adapter gasket

Now a month later no leaks in driveway and oil still at level !!!

Guess I have been lucky so far with my burban :D

Dave

Chris1stgenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Last June I got rid of my 99 Denali and picked up an 03 Tahoe from a guy I work with who hit a deer with it at 168k for 2 grand and I love this damn truck! Super clean (for a mn/wi vehicle, a little rocker rust starting) All it needed when I got it was a headlight and mounting panel, ac condenser and a grill and the bumper brackets were tweaked a little. Best vehicle bargain I think I’ve ever gotten.

quise2024

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I understand all used cars of 10+ years and miles are gonna need replacements n such but sheesh the list goes on

I was considering grabbing a yukon/tahoe for a 2nd vehicle (winter and hauling). First glance they all look in good shape considering age but the underlying things i wpuld have no clue about. Im not big in to cars so these parts listed i would have never thought of or even know what they look like. Guess i got a lot of research to do

Thanks for all the info in here

Last edited:

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never realized how bad this thread got polluted. Its about 2 pages of contributions and 7 pages of people asking about vehicles they want to buy. I don't think that was the intention of this thread, and it needs to be cleaned up... If its possible to make it so a poster must have at least a 10 post count to post in it, that would have cut these posts in half without losing ANY information..

* The fenders are usually the first place to develop rust, because of (IIRC) a (plastic?) covering that brakes off or wears away. Then the slush gets in the fender and just sits there. Easy fix if you catch it.

* Paint chipping off

* Many owners have put large wheels and tires on the vehicle. This causes an extra load on the driveline, and worsens your braking ability (if not upgraded), can cause your odometer and speedometer to be off. You may not be getting an accurate mileage or speed. Its should be less than 10%, and not necessarily something to be worried about, just something to be aware of. Returning to factory wheel and tire sizes will fix this or your vehicle can be recalibrated to record and read accurately.

* Engines go well into and beyond 250-300K miles. We have members near half a million miles. We have shops who have turboed junkyard motors up to near 1000 hp on stock bottom ends... Its the transmission that usually goes first where there are mods and heavy footed driving.

* Spare tire mounts can break (not a prebuy, but definitely a pre-roadtrip or post purchase check to make sure you can use it).

*If you are searching for a vehicle, the VIN will help you right away tell two things if the owner didn't.
Digit #5 is the drive. C is 2wd, K is 4wd/Awd
Digit #8 is the engine. V = 4.8, T = 5.3, Z = 5.3 (Flex Fuel), U = 6.0 LQ4, N = 6.0 LQ9

*Some of the available options include:
Brakes: Hydroboost / Vacuum Booster
Stereo: Stock / Premium / Bose / Onstar
Drive: 2wd / 4wd / AWD
Interior: Cloth / Leather (LT) / Leather with upgraded trim (Denali and Escalade) / two tone interior / steering wheel controls
2nd Row seats: Captains chairs / bench seat / heated front seats
Suspension: Air leveling shocks
Exterior: body cladding / fender flares / paint matched: grills, bumpers, trim / rear barn doors vs hatch
There are quite a few more. If you are set on something specific, you will probably search further.

* The biggest changes came in 2003. If you divide the 2000-2006, its 2000-2002 and 2003-2006.
1999/2000-2002 had a 1.5/1 din stereo, mechanical AC controls, 100 mph speedo
2003-2006 had a double din stereo, electronic AC controls, 120mph speedo.... There is more...

( https://www.autotrader.com/car-reviews/2000-2006-chevrolet-tahoe-used-car-review-80731 )

Due to its ability to hold up to eight passengers and to tow up to 8,800 pounds, the Tahoe appeals to big families with big toys, but not acres of garage space. Models with the available third-row seat feature a 50/50 split bench seat that can be folded (although not flush – as in the 2003-and-newer Expeditions) or removed to create a larger cargo area.

As with all vehicles in this class, fuel economy is going to be in the low-to-mid teens. But Chevrolet’s V8 engines have a good reputation for durability and longevity, so buying a high-mileage used model shouldn’t be worrisome.

Notable features and options

The Tahoe wears a Chevrolet badge, but it can be equipped like a Cadillac. Standard features on the LS include power windows, mirrors and locks; a 40/20/40 split-bench front seat or captain’s chairs; tri-zone air conditioning; front side-impact airbags; AM/FM stereo with cassette or CD (depending on year) and anti-lock brakes.

Vertical split rear doors are standard, but most people opt for the no-charge two-piece liftgate with rear defroster and wiper. LT trims gain alloy wheels, captain’s chair front seating and electronic climate control. Among the many cool options are Bose audio, navigation, leather seating, heated front seats, a power sunroof, rear seat DVD entertainment system, removable third-row seat, StabiliTrak stability control, automatic load leveling suspension, and power adjustable pedals.

Off-road enthusiasts should look for models with four-wheel drive, a trailer tow package and the Z71 package that adds tubular side steps, upgraded 17-inch wheels and tires, upgraded shocks, color-keyed grille, and OnStar. Two-wheel-drive models offer a Traction package that includes traction control, a locking differential and tow hooks.

Model milestones

2000: An all-new model debuts with new sheetmetal, more powerful engines and more safety features.

2001: The Z71 package debuts, while two-tone paint packages are dropped. OnStar is now available on the LS trim.

2002: LS models gain more standard equipment, including heated power mirrors, six-way power driver and front passenger seats, fog lamps, assist steps, rear heat, rear window defroster, and Homelink universal transmitter. The 5.3-liter V8 is now E85-compatible.

2003: StabiliTrak stability control is offered on both two- and four-wheel-drive Tahoes. New entertainment choices include satellite radio, Bose audio and a rear seat DVD player. New options include power adjustable pedals, second-row leather bucket seats and electronic climate control.

2004: A tire pressure monitoring system is made standard, as are Hydro-Boost brakes and new 16-inch wheels.

2005: A two-piece rear hatch is now standard, while navigation is offered for the first time. StabiliTrak stability control is made standard on all trims.

2006: No major changes as the all-new 2007 model prepares to debut midway through 2006.

Engines and performance

The base model features a 4.8-liter V8 engine, good for 275 horsepower. The 5.3-liter Vortec 5300 makes just 10 more horsepower, but offers significantly more torque (325 pound-feet compared with 290). For this reason, the 5.3-liter is the best engine for the Tahoe. It feels strong at all times, offers nearly identical fuel economy to the base engine and, on later models, is E85-compatible.

Because it’s a big, tall vehicle, don’t expect the Tahoe to handle like a car. But in ordinary driving situations, it proves surprisingly confident. The steering is direct and on-center body roll is not excessive. On models with StabiliTrak stability control, aggressive cornering and emergency maneuvers are tackled with ease. The brake pedal feels rather soft, with lots of travel before the brakes take hold.

Four-wheel-drive models feature Chevy’s Autotrac full-time system that operates in two-wheel drive until it senses wheel slippage, at which point the all-wheel-drive system kicks in. Once traction is regained, the system reverts to two-wheel drive. The system can also be set into 4HI, 4LO and 2HI.

Recalls, safety ratings and warranties

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has issued the following recalls for the 2000 to 2006 Chevrolet Tahoe.

2000: Possible brake line failure and possible defective airbag that may not deploy in the event of a frontal crash.

2000/01: Defective or missing rear wheel housing plugs that could allow exhaust fumes to enter the rear wheel housing.

2000/02: Possible defect that could affect the anti-lock braking system due to road salt.

2001: Possible cracks in the second- and third-row seatbelt mechanisms.

2003: Possible defective welds on rear upper door hinges.

2003/04: Possible defective O-ring in the braking system’s relief valve that may make it harder to steer and brake.

2003/05: Improper fitting for rear seat lap belts.

2005: Possible defect that could cause the shift lever parking indicator not to illuminate. Possible missing brake pushrod retainer, which could cause brake failure.

2006: Possible defective power steering hose that could rupture under pressure and cause the loss of power steering assistance.

Recall repairs are required by law even if the vehicle is out of warranty. Your dealer can check to see if the repairs were performed and, if not, will fix the car at no charge to you.

Safety-wise, the NHTSA gives the 2000 to 2006 Chevrolet Tahoe four out of five stars for the driver and front seat passenger in its front-impact crash tests, but only two out of five in the rollover roof strength test. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) did not test the Tahoe.

The 2000 to 2006 Chevrolet Tahoe comes with a three-year/36,000-mile bumper-to-bumper and powertrain warranty and a six-year/100,000-mile corrosion warranty. The 2000 to 2006 Tahoe is too old to qualify for the Certified Pre-Owned program and as such, will not have any kind of warranty protection.

Word on the web

We’ve been surfing the web to see what consumers and consumer advocates have to say about the Tahoe. Sites such as CarComplaints.com don’t have much praise, but those observations are based on only a few hundred reports. Consumer Reports, which has a much larger data pool, generally give the Tahoe high marks in the areas of engine, transmission and electrical system, but only average grades for the drivetrain (4WD components, driveshaft and vibration), body hardware (windows, locks, latches, etc.) and climate system.

Owners, on the other hand, praise the Tahoe overwhelmingly for its smooth and quiet ride, comfortable cabin, and plentiful power. They often complain of poor fuel economy, though, especially when the vehicle is fully loaded or towing, and the lack of a side-curtain airbag. There are also some complaints about vibrations and knocking felt through the steering column.

Auto Trader recommendations

Go for all the bells and whistles, like the loaded LT2. The most important reasons being safety, comfort and reliability. Look for a 2005 or 2006 model with StabiliTrak and Autotrac four-wheel drive if you live in snowy climes. Those who venture off-road or live in more rural settings might want to track down a good-condition LS with the Z71 package.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kentf3