Thinking of Buying a 00-06 NBS Tahoe/Suburban? Look Here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bayareadude84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What?! Most dealers won't let you put much on a credit card. I tried to do the same for the points last time, max they'd allow was 2 grand. My dad tried to buy a $75k tractor with his to get Cabelas points lol. I would love to buy my next card like that, but i doubt anyone is willing to take the 2.5-3% off the top via credit card

??? Maybe bad dealers ?? I guess I got lucky twice lol ??

I bought my Suburban wholesale $2250 in TX and was able to put it on my CC and got like $225 in amazon points lol. Last year bought a Crown Vic P71 for $3K as my work car and used my Chase CC for CB rewards and got $200 cash back and used it to pay for its registration LMAO

Dave

beeffajitas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm considering making a GMT800 SUV my next vehicle. Which trucks came with the 3/4-ton drivetrain? From what I've been able to determine on my own:

2500 Suburban = 6.0L (LQ4), 4L80E, Semi-floater 14-bolt??, 8-lug
Yukon Denali = 6.0L (LQ4), 4L65E, axle?, 6-lug
Yukon Denali XL = 6.0L (LQ4), 4L80E?, axle?, 6-lug?

I ask because I'd be concerned if the 6.0 and 4L80E was backed up with a 10-bolt.

Thanks!

Herb Rodriguez

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In response to common failures on these trucks I want to mention the transfer case. I had read about the internal failure that causes the magnesium case to get holes in it and leak fluid out. I had dampness on my case that I couldn't nail down where it was coming from until I took off on a long road trip. 400 miles into my trip I realized the leak was happening quicker than I could put fluid back in it. I limped back home and bought a rebuilt unit that had been upgraded to prevent a further failure. I think my transfer case model was a NP 246. I'm not sure there is a way to tell from the outside if the t-case has been repaired other than tell-tail welding marks that plugged the leaks

Kirth Gersen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do the 8.1L (L18) engines and 4L80E transmissions have any known risks or weaknesses — like the castech head cracks that affect some of the GMT800 small blocks?

I'm considering a 2001 Suburban 4wd 2500 with 59K miles and the 8.1L drive train, but issues like Castech heads would be a nightmare for me -- don't have time, money or energy to deal with it.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm considering making a GMT800 SUV my next vehicle. Which trucks came with the 3/4-ton drivetrain? From what I've been able to determine on my own:

2500 Suburban = 6.0L (LQ4), 4L80E, Semi-floater 14-bolt??, 8-lug
Yukon Denali = 6.0L (LQ4), 4L65E, axle?, 6-lug
Yukon Denali XL = 6.0L (LQ4), 4L80E?, axle?, 6-lug?

I ask because I'd be concerned if the 6.0 and 4L80E was backed up with a 10-bolt.

Thanks!
The Yukon Denali and Yukon xl Denali are 1500 trucks. Yes they have the LQ4 6.0L V8, but only the 4L65E transmission, and half ton frame. The 2500 suburban and Yukon XL will be the 3/4 ton drivetrain and frame.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the 8.1L (L18) engines and 4L80E transmissions have any known risks or weaknesses — like the castech head cracks that affect some of the GMT800 small blocks?

I'm considering a 2001 Suburban 4wd 2500 with 59K miles and the 8.1L drive train, but issues like Castech heads would be a nightmare for me -- don't have time, money or energy to deal with it.
The 8.1L V8 is a beast and will pull just about anything you put behind it, but it’s pretty common to burn through tons of oil. Like TONS! Lol

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where does the oil go? Into combustion chamber & prematurely foul the plugs? Sucked thru PCV valve and coat insides of throttle body & intake? Can't think of where else oil would go.
I’m not sure. I didn’t have one. But the family that owns the property where I live who I’ve known since I moved to big bear, had a 2002 8.1L Yukon XL. He said that every month or so he had to just put a couple quarts of oil in and that changing oil never happened because it would burn through the oil he kept putting in and there weren’t any leaks.

Kirth Gersen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
well, did some interwebz searching and GM acknowledged a problem and had an early 2000s TSB on the 8.1L engine's excessive oil consumption.
Couldnt find the original TSB but it is mostly reprinted here:
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/26737-oil-consumption/
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/intake-manifold-bolts-2001-02-gm-8-1l-vin-g-engine-95398.html

GM considered 1 qt every 100 gallons of fuel (about 1000 mile) "normal" and wouldnt do the service unless oil consumption was even larger.

The gist of the TSB # 02-06-01-035 (Oct 2002) is:
Cause: Oil vapor pulled into combustion chamber through the intake manifold may cause this condition.

Correction: Replace all the intake manifold bolts. Replace one bolt at a time in sequence to keep the intake manifold from shifting.

And in 2005, a redesigned intake manifold gasket was also released.

I'm still not understanding why that would correct problem, but whatever. Other searches indicated this "fix" would often not resolve the problem..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442