Thinking about tuning your own GM Vehicle with HP Tuners? How to tell if your ready! // VID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenneth L Nielsen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tuning your own GM vehicle with HP Tuners? Seems daunting... You've thought about it - but your not quite sure if your ready & up for the task.
Here's how to tell if your ready - and if doing your own tuning is the right decision for you! Chevy_anim.gif

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know enough about engines and tuning to know that I'm not ready to tune. A friend unexpectedly bought an MPVI2 with the Pro stuff and had it sent to my house, for me to repay him whenever. So, I was kinda forced into it. Now, I own tangible evidence that I'm not ready to tune that doubles as a $670 speedometer corrector.

OP
OP
Kenneth L Nielsen

Kenneth L Nielsen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know enough about engines and tuning to know that I'm not ready to tune. A friend unexpectedly bought an MPVI2 with the Pro stuff and had it sent to my house, for me to repay him whenever. So, I was kinda forced into it. Now, I own tangible evidence that I'm not ready to tune that doubles as a $670 speedometer corrector.
Hey, it has a great scanner as well (even if you never want to tune even your fan temps or anything) that is extremely helpful diagnosing issues. You scan every parameter the PCM puts out and graph it . You can read & clear codes, you can shut off any individual fuel injector one at a time to help diagnose misfires and sooo much more. Still not satisfied, I bet you could sell it and recoup a good chunk of the $$$. Your point is well taken - tuning is not for everyone and is challenging!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, it has a great scanner as well (even if you never want to tune even your fan temps or anything) that is extremely helpful diagnosing issues. You scan every parameter the PCM puts out and graph it . You can read & clear codes, you can shut off any individual fuel injector one at a time to help diagnose misfires and sooo much more. Still not satisfied, I bet you could sell it and recoup a good chunk of the $$$. Your point is well taken - tuning is not for everyone and is challenging!

I want to tweak the tune and will when I learn enough. The first thing I did, mostly as a test to get a feel for the process, was to adjust my speedometer to my actual measured tire circumference. So, I joke that it's an over-priced speedo corrector.

I have made a few small changes- disabling some EVAP codes, a little bit with the trans, etc. I've made a few practice scans. I just gotta figure out how to log PIDs other than the default ones. To qualify my noobness: I couldn't figure out why my VCM editor didn't have the options everyone else's did. Turns out, there's an "Advanced" mode I never knew about. I just need time to devote to it and that's not in the cards right now. I'm subscribed to the Goat Rope Garage channel, so that's a start.

OP
OP
Kenneth L Nielsen

Kenneth L Nielsen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to tweak the tune and will when I learn enough. The first thing I did, mostly as a test to get a feel for the process, was to adjust my speedometer to my actual measured tire circumference. So, I joke that it's an over-priced speedo corrector.

I have made a few small changes- disabling some EVAP codes, a little bit with the trans, etc. I've made a few practice scans. I just gotta figure out how to log PIDs other than the default ones. To qualify my noobness: I couldn't figure out why my VCM editor didn't have the options everyone else's did. Turns out, there's an "Advanced" mode I never knew about. I just need time to devote to it and that's not in the cards right now. I'm subscribed to the Goat Rope Garage channel, so that's a start.
That road seems familiar. It is worse for guys like me in MN. Every summer I take two steps forward with my tuning ability, and then one step back in the winter when I forget some of it..... I still love it!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every summer I take two steps forward with my tuning ability, and then one step back in the winter when I forget some of it..... I still love it!

You're still moving forward and just getting refreshers on the stuff you repeat. It's like built-in forced reminders. I see it as a more effective learning process :thumbsup:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts