Think my HMI is bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mateyjoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey New guy here. joined because im having some issues with my radio

my wife has a 2016 Tahoe LTZ with 25,000 miles. zero issues before this

about 2-3 weeks ago, we pull in the garage everything is normal. next time we go to start up the car, the radio screen is blank. So I did some googling and everything seems to point to HMI or the screen itself.

Here are the symptoms:
1- screen in black, but it is back lit (i can see the screen illuminate when we open the door, but the mylink logo does not display)
2- screen and buttons underneath are nonresponsive- except for the button to slide screen up, that will work to access cubby hole.
3- steering wheel controls will control the radio and volume.
4- no bluetooth
5- can drive a few miles, radio will "flicker" off and on a few times, and then just die. restart the car its on but will repeat same flicker and die. has never stayed on for more than 15 min.

Here is what I have checked:
1- pulled radio fuse- no change
2- disconnected battery for 20 min- no change
pulled glove box, checked connections on HMI- no change.

so my questions
without going to the dealer, is there any way to confirm it is the HMI? Our local dealer is not the greatest, and we can't be without a vehicle right now anyway. I dont currently pay for onstar, but I read about people have them push an update to the HMI? could I try that route if I pay for service?

I have access to a 2018 Silverado High Country, I know the HMIs are VIN locked, but could I swap this HMI into my Tahoe to see if the screen comes on with a VIN locked message? I read messages related to corvettes where people bought used ones off ebay and plugged them in to confirm it was the issue. they would get a "VIN lock" message and then go to the dealer for a flash.

appreciate any help

OP
OP
M

mateyjoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I got no response from anyone but I can confirm it was the HMI.

I swapped an HMI from another vehicle in and got a theft Lock Screen. Another sure sign it’s the HMI

Ordered a new unit programmed to my vin and we are back in business

phottomatt

Reaction score
My 2017 Tahoe XL just started this yesterday, what is HMI?

Human Machine Interface... Seriously? That's the best they could do? :Angry:

Last edited:

Dinkmaster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I got no response from anyone but I can confirm it was the HMI.

I swapped an HMI from another vehicle in and got a theft Lock Screen. Another sure sign it’s the HMI

Ordered a new unit programmed to my vin and we are back in business
Hi. Where did you order the module? Dealership? Do you mind sharing the price?

phottomatt

Reaction score
Mine is almost useless now, it blacks out about every 5 minutes and sometimes takes 10 minutes before touch screen will work again.