Think I'm trading Yukon Denali for Navigator.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kmdcolo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
View attachment 227405 I have been a long-time Chevy / GMC fan and grew up driving Suburbans / Yukon XLs. I was set on the Denali XL but ended up getting an Expedition Max (Platinum) over the Denali mainly because of the middle row tilt and fold feature. I love the look of the Denali and Escalade and honestly like them better than most the Expeditions I see on the road. We looked at Navigators but I had a hard time ordering and paying for hand buffed leather knowing that it would have 5- car seats sitting on them. Our platinum has 400HP and 480ftlb of torque and the 10-speed. I know from experience that the 6.2 is strong and has no problems climbing mountain passes in Colorado but the EcoBoost is so nice at elevation. It will comfortably sit in 8th and 9th gear (I wish GM would show the current gear just for my curiosity) well below 2K RPMs climbing Vail pass and Loveland pass.

I look forward to what the next-generation Tahoe/Suburban will look like and imagine the competition from Expedition and Navigator will push the boundaries of performance, efficiency, and tech. I can't imagine GM messing up the functionality since they own the segment. Hope they don't let the designer of the new Chevy HD influence it.

Real-world MPG 18.3 City/Highway
2,900-mile trip averaged 20.5 (mostly 80MPH)

Screen_Shot_2019-07-22_at_1.05.54_PM_1_50.png

Last edited:

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 227392

Hey! My other car just happens to be a 1968 Caddy Coupe deVille! And it’s a much nicer ride than the Navigator!

I had a '68 Coupe de Ville.....In 1980... Bought for $125.00. Drove it for a month.... sold it for $125.00.... He drove it for a month..... On and on....... It went through 6 people like that until it disappeared.
That was fun.... Boy... what a big boat!!

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know from experience that the 6.2 is strong and has no problems climbing mountain passes in Colorado but the EcoBoost is so nice at elevation. It will comfortably sit in 8th and 9th gear (I wish GM would show the current gear just for my curiosity) well below 2K RPMs climbing Vail pass and Loveland pass.
With you there, we go over the same passes. Artificially aspirated engines are a whole different ball game up there. I like the look of the GM triplets better but I see the appeal of the engineering and features in the new Fords. Enjoy yours.

kmdcolo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What? I thought this was the Tahoe/Yukon Forum......or is it now a Ford...um, too

Just providing some perspective and not bashing either brand. I can do that if you want to talk about oil burning and leaking oil cooler lines on a low mileage 8.1 Yukon XL :)

I had posted pictures of the middle row and car seat configuration but the forum only shows one image.

muncie21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a '68 Coupe de Ville.....In 1980... Bought for $125.00. Drove it for a month.... sold it for $125.00.... He drove it for a month..... On and on....... It went through 6 people like that until it disappeared.
That was fun.... Boy... what a big boat!!
I owned a red '68 Coupe DeVille with white vinyl top and black cloth/leather interior for several years. As a 20-something with small kids it proved to be a great family car, as I could easily fit 6 in the car and plenty of room in the trunk for groceries, a full size spare & jack kit + Hoffa

Great car, loved the 472 motor and wished I had not decided to sell it.

BTW, my comments for OP's thread about Ford Vs. GM Full-size SUVs, you can't beat the ride, storage space and performance of the GMs. Ford Eco-tech provides a bit more gas mileage but suffers in the space compartment. Handling with a full house out peeps is more precise with the GM.

Patiently waiting for the next gen full size platform, hopefully with 10-speed tranny and turbo or SC (like the Z06/ZL1) would be a great option.

Jorge1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big difference between a Cummins, Detroit Diesel, or Duramax/Isuzu and a little gas 6 banger with a couple of hair dryers hauling around 6,000#. Ford presents the Ecoboost as major breakthrough in mileage efficency. What's crazy is that the MPG is within 1 MPG of the any of the GM trio, regardless of engine.

From what I heard from mechanics the ford eco boat turbos have problems break

Jorge1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been waiting for the 2020's to come out to get rid of my current 2016 yukon denali. No news and havent seen anything.
Impressed with the navigator and it beats the denali and escalade in pretty much every aspect. Gm is playing catch up now.

If anyone hasnt seen them I suggest you take a look. A lot nicer than the yukons and escalades.
I considered the Gator before buying my 2016 Denali and briefly before my 2019. We all have our preferences, but for me the Gator didn't add up - Especially with performance options.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big difference between a Cummins, Detroit Diesel, or Duramax/Isuzu and a little gas 6 banger with a couple of hair dryers hauling around 6,000#. Ford presents the Ecoboost as major breakthrough in mileage efficency. What's crazy is that the MPG is within 1 MPG of the any of the GM trio, regardless of engine.
You're not wrong about the mileage.