These Springs or Those Springs ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dusty Diggs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I hope you're all well as can be . Out here in "Rural" it's harder to get near people , if you know what I mean . Sparsely Populated comes to mind .

When we get an all clear I'm going to sell / trade the Tahoe for a Suburban . In the meantime I have to put springs underneath it . I've narrowed down to ACDelco 45H2164 HD's , or 45H2165's

The 64's are 1300 load ; The 65's are 1040 lbs . The Tahoe sits a good 4"-5" up off the rear tires . So ,,, I'm not into lifted trucks these ones are going to put it up another 1"-1.5" with the 2164's .

Can I get some input ?
Thanks , Steve

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Virginia Steve. Since you’re going to sell it why not go back with oem or at least oem specs? I wouldn’t do anything that makes it taller. You’ll narrow your buying crowd.

OP
OP
Dusty Diggs

Dusty Diggs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea , Steve ! I haven't found anything that OEM . I hate that jacked-up rear , In the 70's here in Nevada we called them "Stink Bugs" . Yeah , 215,000 mile springs and weak Rancho 5000 shocks is not a good combination . The Tahoe has some piston slap for the first couple minutes after that no worries . I'm thinking I need a Suburban if we need to leave (fires for the most part and we have 4 dogs) . I'm se3lling my 79' Lincoln MK V and considering a travel trailer . I was surprised at how far my 16' Utility Trailer empty pulled down . So I figured a 2500 Suburban might be in order .

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM parts direct has them or eBay has aftermarket vendors but again if you’re selling I’d leave it alone unless it’s in bad shape. The 2500 is great lots of guys hang on to them if they can find one. Good luck and be careful on the move.

OP
OP
Dusty Diggs

Dusty Diggs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm still looking and considering : 1] New Springs 2] . It would help if I could find the Tech. Info on those rear springs . I've also looked at the Monroe Shocks with the coil springs . They give about 550 extra lbs. each . The thing that concerns me are the spring rates . I don't want a sloppy ride and I don't want it so stiff it knocks my teeth out . I don't haul often , when I do it's a load around 2000-4500 lbs . Those coil spring shocks are nearly $100.00 , springs alone are about $80.00 . I have two pairs of ACDelco springs online 45H2164 - HD. /1300 lbs they are both variable with about a 2" raise and the 45H2165 - SD/1040 lbs . will raise the Tahoe around 1" . Decisions , Decisions ! The reason I'm making such a big deal is the Tahoe has 267/70-17's and there is 7.5" - 8.0" off of the rear tires .

My first post I said the wheel well lip was 4"-5" off of the tires . (I wasn't even close)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos