[Theoretical] What if we were to move away from the 4lXXe and how would we do it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I got lost on the internet. And got myself thinking...

With the age of electronical controls, how would ya go about swapping something like an 8hp70 into one of these rigs? Is such a thing even feasible?

Then there's the mounts. Clearances, t-case, driveshafts, bell housing, flex plate. The mind boggles

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With enough money anything is possible! I would be happy with just sticking an 80E and call it good, they might be old but they can take abuse in stock form that would snap the 60E's back and last for years, wish you could do that 60E!

That aside though, I don't know how big they are but assuming they are massive you would probably need to raise the body like they do in the Allison equipped trucks. Just to fit it under the tranny tunnel, and maybe some trimming. I haven't looked at that particular unit. If you are using it on a 4x4 finding the correct adapter would probably be impossible and you would need a custom machined one.

The wiring/tuning etc.. would probably be a nightmare, only reserved for those adventurous souls. Might as well have a separate module just for the transmission alone to save extra headaches.

If you are going there though there is this guy in another forum that swapped his avalanche 60e with a Manual 6 speed ZF S6-650 rated for 650hp up to 26,000lbs GVWR.

That would be more interesting for me than a nightmare automatic.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 6L80E would be a much easier swap. I haven't done a whole lot of research, but I know of two people that have swapped the 4L60s in their '07 trucks to 6L80s. Since it's standard equipment for '09+, there are factory fitment and mounting possibilities. IIRC, it just requires some extra wires added to the harness and a PCM reprogramming. If you're extra adventurous and want the whole package, you can swap the gear selector stalk for the one with the manual shift buttons and the instrument panel for the one that displays the gears.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going there though there is this guy in another forum that swapped his avalanche 60e with a Manual 6 speed ZF S6-650 rated for 650hp up to 26,000lbs GVWR.

That would be more interesting for me than a nightmare automatic.

I've often thought about a 6-speed manual in my Tahoe. I think I recall seeing a T56 in a GMT800 Tahoe, but never in a GMT900. I'll have to find this Avalanche. You happen to have a link?

*EDIT*
I found it on avalanchefanclub

Last edited:

zraffz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the 6L80E have a TCM? I am sure their is a company that makes an aftermarket TCM but it would still be a lot of money, time and fabrication.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne