The Unexplainable, Unresolved issue an expert LS builder and Dealership can't figure out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So to revive this old Thread, here is an update for anyone interested.
I took my suburban to the GM expert independent shop.
The did not address my concern, they sold me a Direct Injection cleaning and Injectors cleaning.
Not that I mind, as I wanted to do the direct injection cleaning anyways.
This did not change any of the smell.

To recap if some of you don't want to go back to all the different pages and bogus info I was given or thought it could be, this is where I stand on this of of right now:

At every start upt, cold or fully warmed up engine: the truck rear tailpipe smells super rich.
as in raw gas strong smell.

I am taking the truck to an actual emission place who is going to hook up HP tuner or some diagnostic to look at the tables while starting it tomorrow morning

Recently, I had a 19 loaner with the 5.3 and I could have sworn that that brand new unti also does the same thing, smells really rich at startup and idling.

My particular smell stop once I get going and then stop.

Maybe its something GM designed (poorly) into the truck, my truck is all stock with no lights on the dash, everything indicate that I am running in good condition.

I will update with that shop finding.

Like the carburetor days with chokes, the engines run rich at start up to get up to temperature quickly.

OP
OP
A

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like the carburetor days with chokes, the engines run rich at start up to get up to temperature quickly.

its unlike any other truck / car I have. Its way way too foul smelling and way too much, it also doesn't even after starting the car for 5 minutes. What you are describing usually, I can smell a bit of a difference. on mine its bad.
smells way to much like pure unspent gasoline. I wish I could put a scratchOsmell link like the videos from the 80's had sometimes their smell board to go with it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its unlike any other truck / car I have. Its way way too foul smelling and way too much, it also doesn't even after starting the car for 5 minutes. What you are describing usually, I can smell a bit of a difference. on mine its bad.
smells way to much like pure unspent gasoline. I wish I could put a scratchOsmell link like the videos from the 80's had sometimes their smell board to go with it.

This just occurred to me, does it smell like some critter crawled up the tailpipe and died? Hot exhaust cooking his dead carcass and stinking the place up?

OP
OP
A

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This just occurred to me, does it smell like some critter crawled up the tailpipe and died? Hot exhaust cooking his dead carcass and stinking the place up?
LOL! thanks but nope just raw raw gas.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So to revive this old Thread, here is an update for anyone interested.
I took my suburban to the GM expert independent shop.
The did not address my concern, they sold me a Direct Injection cleaning and Injectors cleaning.
Not that I mind, as I wanted to do the direct injection cleaning anyways.
This did not change any of the smell.

To recap if some of you don't want to go back to all the different pages and bogus info I was given or thought it could be, this is where I stand on this of of right now:

At every start upt, cold or fully warmed up engine: the truck rear tailpipe smells super rich.
as in raw gas strong smell.

I am taking the truck to an actual emission place who is going to hook up HP tuner or some diagnostic to look at the tables while starting it tomorrow morning

Recently, I had a 19 loaner with the 5.3 and I could have sworn that that brand new unti also does the same thing, smells really rich at startup and idling.

My particular smell stop once I get going and then stop.

Maybe its something GM designed (poorly) into the truck, my truck is all stock with no lights on the dash, everything indicate that I am running in good condition.

I will update with that shop finding.

I agree with @swathdiver that it might be an injector issue. Nothing else really makes sense. How your gas mileage out of curiosity?

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If a 2019 loaner does the same thing, it sounds like it's normal to me. Newer vehicles do run rich on a cold startup to get the cats heated up as fast as possible (where they are the most efficient) compared to older vehicles.

OP
OP
A

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope. its 100% at the tail pipe. I am going to have an exmission shop hook up a dignostic tool and look at the various table and finally try to get this thing dialed in

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like normal GM tailpipe smell to me, of course I don't make a habit of sticking my nose in the tailpipe but I have smelled similar tailpipe odors before, doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518