The right price for Suburban 2500 6.0L?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely buying a 2500. The search intensifies. I am apprehensive about the purchase of a ppv/ssv unit...but they are definitely out there in numbers. Their prices don't seem to be much better than civilian rigs either. At this point I'm just looking for clean units that don't have 12 red flags...

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My $ .02.....

I looked high and low for a clean 2500. They are like hens teeth. Everyone I found was a rusty POS. Ended up getting a Denali XL 1500.

If I need to tow heavy I will rent a 3/4 ton truck from Enterprise. Its about $ 100 a day....

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely buying a 2500. The search intensifies. I am apprehensive about the purchase of a ppv/ssv unit...but they are definitely out there in numbers. Their prices don't seem to be much better than civilian rigs either. At this point I'm just looking for clean units that don't have 12 red flags...

What is your maximum budget?

You might check Chicago Motors. They usually have some 2500 subs in stock. Recently they had some that came from CA (Fed agency) that looked very clean, low mileage. Kinda pricey, but probably market for low mileage examples.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know of several people who bought PPV Tahoe's and CVPI's. They were former Supervisor vehicles. They were bought with around 150K miles. They have no major issues with them. They were probably serviced better then a civilian vehicle. The FHP takes all their vehicles to the dealer for service. If the vehicle is not serviced on schedule they get written up among other things. Spoke to a couple of Troopers at the dealer while they got their Tahoe's serviced. Their vehicles are take home vehicles. With that said I would not touch a front line vehicle.

My $ .02.....

I looked high and low for a clean 2500. They are like hens teeth. Everyone I found was a rusty POS. Ended up getting a Denali XL 1500.

If I need to tow heavy I will rent a 3/4 ton truck from Enterprise. Its about $ 100 a day....

Bob at North Jersey Emergency Vehicles could have found one for you. It would have been a hike for you to go there but I am sure he could have hooked you up.

What is your maximum budget?

You might check Chicago Motors. They usually have some 2500 subs in stock. Recently they had some that came from CA (Fed agency) that looked very clean, low mileage. Kinda pricey, but probably market for low mileage examples.

Heard mostly good things about Chicago Motors.

With all that said I would still have a Mobile Mechanic come out and check it out from top to bottom just to be sure. Service records would help plus would help make you sleep better at night.

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll just save 8-10 vehicles Nation wide and slowly watch them disappear from my saved listing. A few relatively close to me, one came from Canada so I don't trust it...the other from TX but present owner looks to have not taken all that great of care.

Doesn't help my rpo database was a casualty of a recent cyber attack. I have been doing everything from my phone for a week now...sucks.

I would prefer <25k, which not that long ago seemed realistic haha.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll just save 8-10 vehicles Nation wide and slowly watch them disappear from my saved listing. A few relatively close to me, one came from Canada so I don't trust it...the other from TX but present owner looks to have not taken all that great of care.

Doesn't help my rpo database was a casualty of a recent cyber attack. I have been doing everything from my phone for a week now...sucks.

I would prefer <25k, which not that long ago seemed realistic haha.

A few here look decent. One in particular came from CA (likely no rust).

https://chicagomotors.com/inventory

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few here look decent. One in particular came from CA (likely no rust).

https://chicagomotors.com/inventory

Yeah I check their inventory with regularity. That is a short drive for me. I'll stick with all my searches for a while, this is not the best time of year to look on top the covid market nuking prices.

We SHALL see.

I am just going to build a quick/dirty rpo lookup in excel on a house computer because China still has my work machine locked.

Last edited:

norcalboon

Reaction score
I replaced my wife's DD 1500 with a 2012 Denali XL to also use as our TV for our 7K TT and it tows fine. However, I still wanted a 2500 for myself and looked for about a year seriously before finding a 2005 with 6.0 and 4.10 rear axle ratio with only 90K miles - it pulls better than the Denali even with the 4 speed trans. I expect the Denali will last longer and require less maintenance now that it out of towing rotation. Both fantastic vehicles, both very different aside from GMT800 vs. 900.