The reckoning has arrived - big $$$

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
intheburbs

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did the engine run you? My 08 express van has the 6.0 in it so I’m expecting it to have a similar engine as this. Runs good for now but something is telling me to prepare for the worst

GM reman long block - unfortunately a dealer-only item, $3869.98 is MSRP, and that's what I paid. Part number 19209705.
Labor and some miscellaneous/opportunistic part replacements (oil and trans cooler lines - easy to replace with engine out) - brought me to $7460.
$5k in parts including the engine, $2100 in labor, and sales tax.

That is why it is called a parking brake and not an emergency brake.

I'm not worried about parking, just the truck. The pawl can handle it.

And when I tow, I always have chocks with me. In the rare circumstance that I have to park on a grade, I chock the trailer wheels, put it in neutral and release the brakes, letting the chocks do all the work. Then I put it in park.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I like things that work the way they should and for what they are designed for. I am weird that way. Your rig, your call.

OP
OP
intheburbs

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like things that work the way they should and for what they are designed for. I am weird that way. Your rig, your call.

I'm the same way. But if I haven't used/needed something in almost 8 years, that's a pretty good indicator. I'm throwing close to $10,000 into this truck. In this case I'm going to make an exception.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Again, your rig, your call. If you are throwing $10k at the truck, then why not a fraction more to fix this problem. The answer is, "It's not a problem to you". That is what counts.

If you are throwing $10k at the truck, I assume you want to keep it. This is a leading question now,

When throwing $10k at the truck, are you only fixing or replacing parts that are worn out or broken or just not working or are you going to be replacing any parts/components that you want to replace, "just because"?

In other words, do you only replace components/parts when they break?

I plan on keeping my Z71 and I have been THROWING $$$ at that rig to get it in tip top shape. My radiator does not leak but I am replacing it. My control arms were working but I replaced all 4. Way easier to do now than when it is a surprise breakdown.

That is what makes the world go round. We all approach these decisions from different directions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
intheburbs

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again, your rig, your call. If you are throwing $10k at the truck, then why not a fraction more to fix this problem. The answer is, "It's not a problem to you". That is what counts.

If you are throwing $10k at the truck, I assume you want to keep it. This is a leading question now,

When throwing $10k at the truck, are you only fixing or replacing parts that are worn out or broken or just not working or are you going to be replacing any parts/components that you want to replace, "just because"?

In other words, do you only replace components/parts when they break?

I plan on keeping my Z71 and I have been THROWING $$$ at that rig to get it in tip top shape. My radiator does not leak but I am replacing it. My control arms were working but I replaced all 4. Way easier to do now than when it is a surprise breakdown.

That is what makes the world go round. We all approach these decisions from different directions.

Going to overlook the DB tone of your post....I take care of my shit, your insinuation to the contrary notwithstanding.

The engine lost oil pressure. We thought it was the pressure sensor. It wasn't. In the short time we ran the engine doing diagnostics, it shit the bed.
2500 trucks are insanely expensive right now, so I decided to throw a new engine into it because I plan to keep it another 100k miles at least. If I wanted a used 2500 replacement truck with 100k miles (the mileage when I bought mine in 2013), I'd have to fork over $25k or more.
While the engine was out, we replaced other parts that were not failing but starting to show their age - oil cooler lines, trans cooler lines, coolant crossover tube, etc.
The braking system, except obviously for the parking brake, is 100% functional and still had plenty of meat on the pads. But the driver's side front pads were more worn than the passenger side, indicating a potential problem. Since the truck has 207k miles, I figured I'd just replace the whole system - power steering pump, master cylinder, rotors, calipers and pads. Overkill? Probably.

The engine broke. You gonna replace yours as a preventative measure? I don't think so.
Were the oil cooler lines failing? Nope
Were the trans cooler lines failing? Nope
Was there a problem with the coolant crossover line? Nope.
Was the master cylinder broken? Nope
Was the power steering pump broken? Nope
Did the brake pads need to be replaced? Nope
Was there a problem with any of the rotors? Nope
Was there a problem with any of the calipers? Nope (not yet)

Yet, here I am, replacing all of that stuff.

On second thought, I'm not going to overlook it. Take your virtue-signaling, holier-than-thou, high horse condescension and shove it where the sun don't shine.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
:cool:o_O

Not agreeing with someone and then telling them it is their call because it is their rig, is something I personally would take with a grain of salt.

You are very funny. Thick epidermis challenged though.

I apologize for hurting your feelings.

OP
OP
intheburbs

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got the brakes done. Had to hook up to a machine to get a good bleed. The new brakes are awesome. Plenty of stopping power, with a nice, linear brake pedal feel.

Not bad for a 13 year-old with 210k miles...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210616-195506_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210616-195506_Gallery.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20210616-195953_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210616-195953_Gallery.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20210616-200615_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210616-200615_Gallery.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Finally got the brakes done. Had to hook up to a machine to get a good bleed. The new brakes are awesome. Plenty of stopping power, with a nice, linear brake pedal feel.

Not bad for a 13 year-old with 210k miles...
Parking brake works real good too, right?

OP
OP
intheburbs

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New shocks to finish out the ensemble. Previous shocks had a little over 100k miles and 7 years. Probably 20k-25k of max GCWR towing.

Attachments

• 20210717_160834.jpg
    20210717_160834.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210717_161121.jpg
    20210717_161121.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
intheburbs

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got to play with my Tech 2 for an actual purpose.... Airbag light went on. Front impact sensor. I just replaced the FISs on the Denali, so I wasn't really surprised one died on the Suburban. Bought 2 to replace both as a preventive. I figured if I was going to rip apart the front end, I might as well replace the headlight housings,since the adjuster was broken on the passenger side. Looked at a lot of options, finally decided to stay with stock. The damn impact sensors are $70 each. Ouch. Such a stupid little part.

Attachments

• 20210831_122408.jpg
    20210831_122408.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 6