The real 2014 tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spied-2014-Chevrolet-Tahoe-front-grill.jpg

Spied-2014-Chevrolet-Tahoe-front.jpg

Spied-2014-Chevrolet-Tahoe-front-view.jpg

Spied-2014-Chevrolet-Tahoe-front-view-in-motion.jpg

Spied-2014-Chevrolet-Tahoe-side.jpg

Spied-2014-Chevrolet-Tahoe-rear.jpg

Spied-2014-Chevrolet-Tahoe-rear-view-in-motion.jpg

Long the leader in the fullsize SUV segment, General Motors isn't letting any grass grow between its toes with its next generation of fullsize SUVs. These photos of a cladded 2014 Chevrolet Tahoe were snapped just outside GM's proving grounds. Interestingly, the badge on the grille underneath the mesh covering is a prominent oval, indicating GM may have been hoping to fake-out spy shooters into thinking it's a Ford. However, a Chevrolet bowtie can be seen on the wheelcaps under the tape and there were Toyota Sequoia and Ford Expedition comparison vehicles accompanying the prototype.

Since the addition of a six-speed automatic to the lineup in 2009, the GMT900-series SUVs have been near top-of-class in terms of fuel economy. Reports of an eight-speed automatic transmission and direct-injected fifth-generation small block V-8 power for the new Tahoe (known internally as K2UC) and the Yukon(K2UG) indicate GM intends to remain a class leader in this increasingly important area. Although the eight-speed is certainly in the cards at some point, availability constraints may have the big SUVs launching with six-speeds.

In what may also be a concession to efficiency, the test mule appears to retain the GMT 900's solid rear axle. Most fullsize SUVs, including the Expedition and Sequia, have independent rear suspensions, which are favored by some manufacturers for allowing greater flexibility in interior packaging. However, the marginal frictional losses inherent in CV joints of an IRS may have outweighed the potential benefits. In addition to less mechanical drag, solid rear axles are generally considered more robust for towing and hauling duties.
New all-aluminum small block V-8s equipped with direct injection are a given, likely in the same displacement as the current 5.3 and 6.2-liter fourth-generation Vortec engines with a possible 5.5-liter variant. GM may still have some surprises up its sleeves, however -- some reports have suggested a diesel option could be offered along with a hybrid model, though the GMT900 hybrids haven't set any sales records. Also unknown is whether GM will field a turbocharged V-6 option to counter Ford's popular EcoBoost powertrain, which may soon be offered in the Lincoln Navigator.

GM clearly has high hopes for the new Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban, GMC Yukon/XL and Cadillac Escalade models, having invested a total of more than $500 million in its Arlington, Texas plant since 2009. GM is overhauling its entire fullsize truck and SUV lineup within the next 18 months and the new SUVs are expected to be second or third in line, behind the new Chevrolet Sliverado and GMC Sierra 1500, with the 2500 and 3500-series HD trucks and fullsize SUVs following.

Read more: http://www.trucktrend.com/future/sp..._testing_in_michigan/index.html#ixzz1yxtrpDTR

Last edited:

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally!

Well done Nathan.

Now to extrapolate from what we can't see ... :)

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like its hiding a blue oval in the grill. I like the wheels also. Can't really tell much else.

If I take the side moldings off my wife Tahoe I'll need to get that door ding protection kit installed on it. :lol2:

OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally!

Well done Nathan.

Now to extrapolate from what we can't see ... :)

:Handshake:

It looks like its hiding a blue oval in the grill. I like the wheels also. Can't really tell much else.

From the article:

Interestingly, the badge on the grille underneath the mesh covering is a prominent oval, indicating GM may have been hoping to fake-out spy shooters into thinking it's a Ford. However, a Chevrolet bowtie can be seen on the wheelcaps under the tape and there were Toyota Sequoia and Ford Expedition comparison vehicles accompanying the prototype.

If I take the side moldings off my wife Tahoe I'll need to get that door ding protection kit installed on it. :lol2:

I've been looking for the entire cover just like that for my wifes ride. It would be the first time she hasn't hit, bumped, scratched, dented something since we bought it...

:laughing1:

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see we are preserving our adorable wheel gap.

I'm guessing the front lights and mirrors are temporary ... looks like the same running boards as now, body seems more square/angular.

To be continued ...

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 AM ----------

God I hope those ricer headlights and their halogen projectors are temporary.

OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see we are preserving our adorable wheel gap.

I'm guessing the front lights and mirrors are temporary ... looks like the same running boards as now, body seems more square/angular.

God I hope those ricer headlights and their halogen projectors are temporary.

We're thinking on the same page. Mirrors are too small. headlights are butt ******* ugly. I kinda hope they are some type of HID projector if anything. Hell the new f150's are...

Strobin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should I hold my breath one Tahoe getting proper projectors with HIDs

lol NathanJax beat me to it

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F150s and Ram trucks have them now.

Anyhoot, obviously very little to glean from those shots ... heck with those running boards, visible hitch cover, and overall look of the truck, it could easily be an NNBS in drag.

I'm hoping that GM doesn't wimp out and keep everything pretty much the same. After all the last switch was bold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan