The Great Wheel Dilemma!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other thing you might do is look on CL or other places for a new set. There are lots of folks taking new sets off new rigs for aftermarket and they usually still have the tpms in place.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me start with a short story...

I have this nice 2013 Suburban LTZ pictured below. It came with the wheels you see in the photo. These are 22" and have been on the truck since new. These wheels were not cared for properly by the previous owners of the truck and have developed substantial corrosion around the back side of the wheel, behind the spokes, in the small gaps in the spokes, in the lug nut holes and in the center bore behind the cap. You know, that white aluminum oxide that can only be removed mechanically. Also, the tires are the Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas which are the WORST in even the slightest flurry of snow.

I have no suspension mods so my ride height is stock. I drive almost exclusively on paved roads, so I want a tire that performs well year-round in WI's 4 season climate, yet still performs well in handling, and had long tread wear. I do some occasional off road travel in moderate snow and dirt two track roads when I vacation in northern WI which leads me more to going with a 20" wheel to gain sidewall.

All that said I am looking at some options for correcting the corrosion and crappy tire issues and am rolling this out for some input from you great guys.

Options:
  1. Manually remove the oxide and paint those spots with some good enamel to protect it from further corrosion. Then get a set of tires to fit these 22" wheels. Hoping for some Falken A/T3Ws to be released by fall or I will go with some Nitto or Michelin tires. This is probably the cheapest route but it is going to be labor intensive. I have one wheel nearly done with a cleanup and paint and am going to have 6+ hours into one wheel by the time I get it done. it is a PIA to do and I am not sure how well they will hold up anyway. Basically I don't want to spend my tine doing it but it may be wort the $1000 - $1500. Another plus I can see for this option is that the wheels I currently have already have some slight curb rash and other small nicks that make it less painful when more occur. In the end I can probably sell the Bridgestone tires to recoup some of the tire cost too.
  2. Replace the 22" wheels with some new 22"wheels. Either reproductions or takeoffs and replace the crappy tires as noted in option 1. This is likely to cost about $2700.00 which I can afford but not sure if I want to spend it. I could sell the old takeoff wheels and tires to recoup some of the cost also.
  3. Replace the 22" wheels with some new 20"wheels. Either reproductions or takeoffs and replace the crappy tires as noted in option 1. This is likely to cost about $1800.00 which I can afford but not sure if I want to spend it. I could sell the old takeoff wheels and tires to recoup some of the cost also. I am also certain I can get the tires I want in the size required for the 20" wheels. I have a line on some takeoff 20" wheels but there is some very minor corrosion started on the back so they will need immediate attention to stop it. not sure if I want to deal with that when I can get some reproduction versions for $200 more and only need to worry about proper care moving forward.
If you are still with me thanks for sticking around! I have been mulling this around for several weeks now and can't seem to get over the hump on it so I appreciate any input y'all have.

Pic of wheels for reference:

View attachment 244797 View attachment 244798

I always liked those wheels. I thought they also came in 20s. If you like 22s, keep those wheels and fix them up.

Option 3. Was going to suggest a taller tire but you have 3.08s...

OP
OP
George B

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I always liked those wheels. I thought they also came in 20s. If you like 22s, keep those wheels and fix them up.

Option 3. Was going to suggest a taller tire but you have 3.08s...

Thanks. I think my current wheels look good and I can get them in 20s if I want. I don't mind the 22s butthey limit my tire choices and push the cost up somewhat. IF I went with 20s I woudl use a tire with the same OD as the 22s. I think my real problem is being concerned about my budget right now.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I think my current wheels look good and I can get them in 20s if I want. I don't mind the 22s butthey limit my tire choices and push the cost up somewhat. IF I went with 20s I woudl use a tire with the same OD as the 22s. I think my real problem is being concerned about my budget right now.

So I wasn't seeing things all these years! hahaha Good to know about the 20s. Stock 20s are 275-55-20. Now is a good time for deals so don't hesitate to dicker on price.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So your saying that the weight rating of the factory wheels is likely to be more?

I'm pretty sure I've read that but don't remember where anymore. Will poke around and see if it comes back to me.

Looking:
The Dorman wheels for my truck are only 1760 pounds! LOL

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjhorst14