The dreaded flashing Check Engine Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Motojoe86

Motojoe86

Reaction score
On the bright side, probably cleaned up your internals a bit! Lol. Glad you got it fixed

Mine did the flashing CEL thing when it sucked up a bunch of steam through my bad intake gaskets in the car wash. Rough as hell idle couldn't d get it above 2500 rpm, cleared up when the doors opened to the car wash and i drove it out in the dry air. Hope it helps. Just changed my intake gasket yesterday and went through the car wash, no probs.

OP
OP
Motojoe86

Motojoe86

Reaction score
What fuel pump did you put in? If it was an off brand it could very likely an issue. May try maintainence items first, fuel filter, pc, regulator, etc... Cheap and good upkeep anyhow. I would also check the cat. How are your o2 readings?

I guess I'll keep this going.
2002 Tahoe, 84000 miles.
P0300 code flashing light on highway and, with the truck in park, from 1600 rpms to 3000. After 3000 rpms the misfire goes away.
Fuel trim totals are well under 10%
Vacuum gauge reads 20 in. with a steady needle.
Fuel pressure for flexfuel 5.3 sits at 42 psi and same under load.
Fuel injector balance test was good.
Had the crank relearn done, free by a friend.
New fuel pump/filter over a year ago, pump went out on me.
And plugs and wires.
Fuel regulator tested by pulling off vaccum line, no leaking fuel and the fuel pressure went up.
Cleaned throttle body and MAF sensor.

Truck runs fine, power is good, you can feel the mis at idle, sounds fine in the 2500 rpm when its really misses.

Cyl. 5 is the only one with 0 misfire.
Cyl. 2 has 1500 and Cyl. 3 has 1200. Which are the highest. Swapped coils with Cyl. 5 and 2, still mis on Cyl. 2.
All other Cyl. Have under 100 misses.
So need to do a compression test just to make sure all is good, but running out of tests, and limited by my $5 Torque Pro app scan tool.

OP
OP
Motojoe86

Motojoe86

Reaction score
Leak down test would be good to check out but doubtful with that low miles if it was maintained. Speaking off of suggestions from my own problem, a lot of people told me sticky lifters are fairly common in these. It wouldn't hurt to replace quart of oil with a quart of no next oil change. I don't know too much regarding that but multiple people including 2 mechanics told me sticky lifters are some what common on this and they both said the same thing regarding additive. Basically replace 1 at oil with mmo. Change the filter after 500 miles. Then drain and do oil change at 1200-2500 miles after initial change. I don't know that that's the problem but going off hearsay. I was leary initially to put quart of mmo in but I actually did it while i was chasing fix on mine. Changed oil with quar of mmo in. About 600 miles I changed the filter and 2000 I did regular oil change. Seemed to run a little smooth but nothing drastic for me. Didn't cause any harmful side effects

I guess I'll keep this going.
2002 Tahoe, 84000 miles.
P0300 code flashing light on highway and, with the truck in park, from 1600 rpms to 3000. After 3000 rpms the misfire goes away.
Fuel trim totals are well under 10%
Vacuum gauge reads 20 in. with a steady needle.
Fuel pressure for flexfuel 5.3 sits at 42 psi and same under load.
Fuel injector balance test was good.
Had the crank relearn done, free by a friend.
New fuel pump/filter over a year ago, pump went out on me.
And plugs and wires.
Fuel regulator tested by pulling off vaccum line, no leaking fuel and the fuel pressure went up.
Cleaned throttle body and MAF sensor.

Truck runs fine, power is good, you can feel the mis at idle, sounds fine in the 2500 rpm when its really misses.

Cyl. 5 is the only one with 0 misfire.
Cyl. 2 has 1500 and Cyl. 3 has 1200. Which are the highest. Swapped coils with Cyl. 5 and 2, still mis on Cyl. 2.
All other Cyl. Have under 100 misses.
So need to do a compression test just to make sure all is good, but running out of tests, and limited by my $5 Torque Pro app scan tool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt