Temp gauge not going up/overcooling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elon Powell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
on my 1999 escalade (5.7) i drove it hard for 10 minutes and the gauge will only get up to about 160 maybe it is overcooling or a bad gauge please help

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 96, with a newish coolant temp sensor shows 160 on the gauge, but the engine coolant temp is 195. You need an OBDII tool to check ECT. The bluetooth gizmos that cost around $20 will give you this and more.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
on my 1999 escalade (5.7) i drove it hard for 10 minutes and the gauge will only get up to about 160 maybe it is overcooling or a bad gauge please help
Is this a new thing? Have you done anything work on our Escalade lately?

As @96-2D-Hoe said, getting a scan tool will give you a better idea of what’s going on.

OP
OP
Elon Powell

Elon Powell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is this a new thing? Have you done anything work on our Escalade lately?

As @96-2D-Hoe said, getting a scan tool will give you a better idea of what’s going on.
it is a new thing it used to run at about 190 i will probably scan it and see if that will tell me somthing thanks for the help

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is a new thing it used to run at about 190 i will probably scan it and see if that will tell me somthing thanks for the help
Maybe your thermostat has stuck open. For the couple $'s it costs I would just change it, and the rad cap too.

Any OBDII capable scan tool will give you the engine coolant temperature

OP
OP
Elon Powell

Elon Powell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Maybe your thermostat has stuck open. For the couple $'s it costs I would just change it, and the rad cap too.

ok the thermostat is fairly new will probably scan it and then go from there

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the thermostat is fairly new
Sh*t happens. Don't rule that out.
Otherwise it's going to be an electrical / ground issue so you could check battery/cables etc.

PS.
The coolant temp gauge sensor is on the drivers side of the block toward the front middle and has a single cable that runs up to a connector over the top of the engine

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011