Temp 3/4 way high, fan growling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If the other housing is in good shape and not pitted and cleans up nice then you can reuse it but I do, sometimes, replace that part as well while in there. It will be your call but if you need it and don't have the new one when you do the work then you have to chase it down and will pay more at a parts store and may not be an AC Delco part. If you have the money, go for it and get the housing too. It says it come with other seal and thermostat so that looks like the best way to go. Good call.

If you do that it is just over $11 more for all that with the housing, instead of separate pricing for the rest, the thermostat and the seal.

$27.89 instead of $16.80

OP
OP
treehan77

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Thanks guys about to order all the tensioners, idlers, and belts too. Might as well while I’m in there I guess.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Agreed can be done in an afternoon. Flush it clean it new pump and thermostat bleed it and you're good to go
Afternoon? Hell... On rigs w/ efans, it'll take longer for the engine to bleed the coolant than it will to do the water pump.

Get fel-pro gaskets if your pump doesn't come with good rubber impregnated ones. No need to fuss with sealants or RTV unless your block is pitted - in which case, use paper gaskets w/ a coat of RTV.

Oh and when you get it together; take the upper radiator hose off at the radiator side, and fill through the hose. Otherwise your waterpump will be air locked and you'll be sad

Chris2144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed just don't know the op skill level. Some can knock it out quick others might take a little while. Oh and if you don't have a tensioner tool there is really no need to get one it can easily be pulled back with a ratchet

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Afternoon? Hell... On rigs w/ efans, it'll take longer for the engine to bleed the coolant than it will to do the water pump.

Get fel-pro gaskets if your pump doesn't come with good rubber impregnated ones. No need to fuss with sealants or RTV unless your block is pitted - in which case, use paper gaskets w/ a coat of RTV.

Oh and when you get it together; take the upper radiator hose off at the radiator side, and fill through the hose. Otherwise your waterpump will be air locked and you'll be sad
I’ve replaced my water pump twice, radiator once and always filled through the overflow tank without a problem. The system always burps itself on mine.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I’ve replaced my water pump twice, radiator once and always filled through the overflow tank without a problem. The system always burps itself on mine.
Weird. I've had issues with air locking before. That being said I usually do a pretty extensive coolant drain when doing the water pump. I'd rather a new part not fail because of garbo coolant - most folks don't care until there's an issue.

Blow out the heater core lines carefully w/ air, take the hose off the rad, un-do the threaded plug on the block and let 'er drain.

OP
OP
treehan77

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Where is this threaded plug? I did t find a petcock on the radiator either. Just unhooked lower rad hose, but only about a gallon and a half came out.

putting water in the overflow tank and it pours right out the pump lol. Ordered all parts from rockauto so gotta wait till next week

Ac delco both belts, both tensioners, idlers pulley, water pump, thermostat housing w/ thermo and gasket. I ordered the ac delco rubber impregnated water pump seals.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where is this threaded plug? I did t find a petcock on the radiator either. Just unhooked lower rad hose, but only about a gallon and a half came out.

putting water in the overflow tank and it pours right out the pump lol. Ordered all parts from rockauto so gotta wait till next week

Ac delco both belts, both tensioners, idlers pulley, water pump, thermostat housing w/ thermo and gasket. I ordered the ac delco rubber impregnated water pump seals.

GM did away with both those items due to cost cutting....saved them $1.50 per vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts