Tech for the future

I want a Tahoe with all the bells and whistles and the highest tech.

• Yes, give it all to me!

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Yes, I want all the tech, but better be user friendly reliable.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • No, but I still want some tech, but give me buttons, knobs, and dials.

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Heck no! I want a work truck with bare bones basic radio, heat, and AC.

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well not to mention the fact that they might be getting wore out, undependable, or you just don't want to fix them anymore...there's always that...

At least some nannies can be turned off... and maybe not in your case, but as I get older, I will humanly admit...I'm not quite as sharp as I once was. Without a doubt things like blind spot monitoring, and rear traffic crossing alerts, Etc. have saved my tail and possible even an injury or expensive accident. They are developments I WANT. Yes, I did all those defensive driving things others mention when I was 35, but at approaching double that age , I'll take all the help I can get in the safety and collision avoidance dept....

And you should have that choice. Others with less wants or needs should also be able to choose otherwise instead of being forced to take it or leave it.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And you should have that choice. Others with less wants or needs should also be able to choose otherwise instead of being forced to take it or leave it.

IMHO cars used to be made so you can really feel the road and the vehicle's limitations. Past few decades they feel a like lot less of that and way more overconfident of a feeling. I don't know how to better explain it than that.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

Yea, buying a new rig and picking out options is like picking which set up you want for cable. Their options always give you some things you don't want but to get the thing(s) you do want, you pick an option that comes with other things attached that you can't get away from. PITA

Dave Mathews

Reaction score
I'm seeing tech debated quite often. There are some who want the latest and greatest tech, and those who want a back to the basics truck. Presumably, GM knows what the consumers want and have gone super high tech. But what would happen if we were offered the following choices?

A) A truck with all the latest bells and whistles of high tech. Screens galore, simple taps on the screen to operate all the cool features in the truck. Let's forget about the problems of being driving while distracted from all this tech. And tech isn't always bad, it can allow for safer use of the vehicle such as the 360 views on the screen.

B) A truck with more conservative use of technology. It might have a screen, but a smaller one meant for viewing only when backing up or maneuvering slowly around obstacles. It returns more basic buttons for the stereo so you can change between your connected tech and the radio for road reports or news without having to take your eyes off the road. Dials for HVAC so you can actually feel the settings without taking your eyes off the road. In other words, design a tactile easy to use dashboard that can be used without ever having to take your eyes off the road. (Voice control can be frustrating, been there many times....)

C) A truck with almost no tech in it. Simple heat, AC, radio. Only have tech designed with safety in mind: backup camera, power windows (so you can open or close passenger windows), power door locks so you can control passenger door locks, key FOB so you can unlock your doors as you approach etc. But now woosie tech like heated seats, heavens no to massage seats, sunroofs that can leak, etc.

I put in 4 choices in the poll. I already kind of expect I know what I'll see, but I'm curious to find out for real.
Only problem is the feds require certain things. One of your examples is backup camera. This is now required on all vehicles from 2018 on.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am noticing that some, not all, of the safety technology is simply replacing safe driving habits. The 360 view is nice, but if you use your mirrors properly and turn around to look out the back and side windows, you can back up just as safely. A simple backup camera is, however, a necessity given that you cannot see what is immediately behind you no matter what you. Other crash avoidance systems, lane deviation systems all are replacing good driving skills. Don't drive when tired, don't tailgate, stay alert and constantly scan the road and surrounding areas ahead of you.

Yep, turn all that crap off. I need a nice screen with backup camera and appreciate blind spot monitoring. Other than those two safety features I'd rather not have to pay for it.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I wish we could check boxes for the specific tech options we want, just like when building/ordering a vehicle. Rather than having to select an entire technology and/or convenience group, we could select specific features of the available tech. For one, I don't want tracking (geo-locating) or vehicle reporting. I also don't want so much stuff that it crowds and over-complicates the features I DO want. Above all, I want a glitch-free and intuitive interface. All of this extra stuff is crap to me if it has glitches because I won't realize it's a glitch and will get frustrated thinking it's actually something I'm doing wrong and the UI just isn't so intuitive. It's like me trying to operate an Android device.

This. I would pay for comfort and climate options like heated/ cooled seats etc. Give me the option to delete OnStar, I already have a cell phone spying on me, I don’t need another.

Bundling options is how all the manufacturers sell us things we don’t want; you buy a six pack of features because there’s ONE thing you really want.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, turn all that crap off. I need a nice screen with backup camera and appreciate blind spot monitoring. Other than those two safety features I'd rather not have to pay for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Tailgaters-Adjusting-Brightness-Temperature/dp/B01KDT4WHY

I installed this on my Tahoe and absolutely love it. I know it lacks blind spot views from the very corners, but if you get a 170° backup camera, it's close. As long as you use check your side view mirrors and do your shoulder checks, this system doesn't take any dashboard real estate.

I have always like the large buttons on OEM radios. I often switch between AM, FM, or my mp3, and also several radio stations without ever having to take my eyes off the road. Having these functions in a screen would be horrible for me. I know there are steering wheel buttons that might take the place of the radio buttons, so that might do for radio controls.

Of all the vehicles I've driven, I like the early 2000's HVAC dials the best. I have always been able to quickly and easily switch to defog mode while driving, and that is an important safety feature. Even my wife's 2008 Explorer, which has buttons, is tricky to find. I have to look over and hunt for the tiny defog button. I'll take the big, clunky, dated look in favour of safety any day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeroman64

Latest posts