Tech 2 Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, but every time the system 'reboots' during the programming process (dash goes black, doors unlock, headlights come back on) it throws a U0140 communication error when I scan again. Unfortunately the causes seem kind of vague when I google it, including "caused by an error while programming modules" which makes sense.

So it's a chicken or egg question. Is the communication error causing the programming issue, or is the failed programming causing the communication error.

With the tech2 I can ping all modules (well, not the seat or the liftgate anymore) but I can see live data, command different actions, etc.

I *thought* I had a shorted module which led me to replace the memory seat module in the first place - my other thread I talk about that. It was working after replacement, but I was trying to update the program just to be sure there were no issues cause it came off a different year vehicle.

So far, as far as SPS programming goes, I've tried
1. The seat module (failed, no longer works)
2. The radio (failed, but still seems to work ok)
3. The lift gate module (failed, no longer works)
maybe unplug the seat module and try to program the rear hatch again?

TrybalRage

Reaction score
I may try that. But I'll need them to give me another 24 hours of access to the old system. It expired earlier today.

TrybalRage

Reaction score
Yes, but it's for the new SPS2 system that doesn't work with the Tech2 for pass-through. You need to call them to give you access to the 'old' SPS system and they only do it for 24 hours as was described back on page 87 of this thread.

Both support people I talked to kept saying "yeah you should really get a newer device like an MDI or a high-end unit like an Autel"

TrybalRage

Reaction score
So I've been watching lots of videos and searching forums trying to find an answer. Found a youtuber called "kevin9c1" that made a 4 video series trying to get his clone Tech2 to program. Eventually picked up an MDI and was able to program modules successfully.

I messaged him about it and he replied that he was told that *some* clone Tech2's are having this problem with even the old SPS system. Even though his MDI was also a clone it worked fine.

So now I have a decision to make. Chinacardiags has MDI2 modules for just over $200. Do I try that now or just send it off to the dealer. I don't really want to try the VCX (too many reviews of the drivers and other software installing malware), and any other "legit" J2534 passthru tools are a minimum of $500.

It appears that with even the clone MDI2 I can just install the real drivers right from acdelcotds.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
sell it on ebay for parts and recoup a little bit

Good idea!

be sure to put it for parts or not working, and clarify in the listing that it does not work, people are dumb and this way no one can "reasonably" leave bad feedback

What price range you feel os fair for a non working unit with the case, cables and candi. Maybe less the vci as I might keep that.

Thanks for the idea to sell the failed unit for parts. Being that I could get it to work somewhat and that I could flash the card to whatever software someone wanted I was able to sell it for $200.00 on eBay. I even flashed it to the most current Saab software for the buyer.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea to sell the failed unit for parts. Being that I could get it to work somewhat and that I could flash the card to whatever software someone wanted I was able to sell it for $2000.00 on eBay. I even flashed it to the most current Saab software for the buyer.
really? 2000 for a clone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu