Tech 2 or Range AFM Disabler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the Range AFM disabler, it must be plugged in at all times in the OBD-II port as it does not reprogram the ECM. With our tune, we reprogram the ECM to never go into V4 mode and our AutoCal does not need to be plugged in at all times. It will only need to be plugged in when flashing in the tune. The Range will also only disable the AFM while our tune will provide other benefits such as increased throttle response and performance along with improved shift patterns.
Yes but the Blackbear tune doesn’t program the 10 speed transmission. If you have the 6 or 8 speed the Blackbear has benefits but with the 10-speed it’s very limited. Has Blackbear been able to do anything with the 10-speed yet?

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes but the Blackbear tune doesn’t program the 10 speed transmission. If you have the 6 or 8 speed the Blackbear has benefits but with the 10-speed it’s very limited. Has Blackbear been able to do anything with the 10-speed yet?
Unfortunately, EFILive still has not been able to unlock the 2017 and newer 8 and 10 speeds.

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BlackBear - when SpyShops mentions those with the Range still getting failures compared to not seeing those tuned have failures… does this apply to what you guys do? Tune vs. just a Range AFM override?
How does the tune differ from what the Range does?
Thanks in advance!
With the Range you have to keep it plugged in for it to keep AFM disabled, we are actually programing that feature out of the ECM. With AFM there are a lot of variables, timing with when you decide to disable it versus how long you have ran the vehicle with AFM, also vehicle year, the 07-13 years AFM was at its worst, the 14 and newer vehicles they reworked the system so it is typically a fuel saver but people still cant stand it or report issues.

I have had my 14 5.3 tuned by Justin for years and have had AFM disabled. We put it back to stock a few months ago. The way it shifted and throttle response was not fun with the stock tune, and the sound and the way it felt when AFM engaged drove me crazy. I only noticed a mile or maybe 2 mile improvement, so it was not worth it to me to keep it on. I want smiles per gallon

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone could drive the truck in the 2nd to last gear and it disables the AFM. I drive it in 9th gear when I want to drive my truck like a Corvette.

captras

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have done alot of research on the AFM disablers. They do work, but not the way they lead you to believe. They actually do not disable the AFM. What they do is prevent the transmission from going into the highest gear, which is the only gear that the AFM can be activated in. You can do this on your own by simply putting your shifter in M5 (for 6 speed) or M7 (for 8 speed). This is what a tech from Range Technology told me when I asked what the device actually did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore