Tech 2 or Range AFM Disabler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kaiserwillie

Reaction score
I have a 2016 Yukon SLT with 28k miles that I got brand new. I've noticed the AFM activating during city driving/short trips as well as highway driving. Should I get a Range device to disable AFM or get a good Tech 2 scanner/programmer. I do DIY maintenance and I'm thinking the Tech 2 would be the better buy? I don't go to the stealership anymore since my bumper to bumper expired. What's a Tech 2 device to get if I go that route?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Yukon SLT with 28k miles that I got brand new. I've noticed the AFM activating during city driving/short trips as well as highway driving. Should I get a Range device to disable AFM or get a good Tech 2 scanner/programmer. I do DIY maintenance and I'm thinking the Tech 2 would be the better buy? I don't go to the stealership anymore since my bumper to bumper expired. What's a Tech 2 device to get if I go that route?
The Tech-2 does not work on your truck, it was sunset after the 2013 model year. The GM equivalent is the MDI and MDI2 adapter with GDS or GDS2 software on a laptop.

I'm looking to upgrade to make programming easier but haven't delved too much into it yet.

I recommend that you get tuned instead of the Range device.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the range device in my 2015 for the last 10,000 miles. It definitely does what it’s suppose to do but ideally you wanna get the engine tuned or just physically removed the AFM all together.

side note the range will mess with your on board computers when time for annual inspection comes if your state requires that. You should probably unplug about 2 weeks prior to inspection.. I had this issue and realized i had to do a few drive cycles unplugged before I could take it back to be inspected

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@BlackBearPerf can help you out on the tune, for a technical tool to do diy repairs and diagnosis a vcx nano will work on a windows tablet, pc or laptop. or a mdi2 will do the same thing, chinacardiags sells both and other things as well, the website is in china but they are legit

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@BlackBearPerf can help you out on the tune, for a technical tool to do diy repairs and diagnosis a vcx nano will work on a windows tablet, pc or laptop. or a mdi2 will do the same thing, chinacardiags sells both and other things as well, the website is in china but they are legit
Do you know if the mdi2 can disable the afm?

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also the Range auto/start override on my 2020 throws numerous codes which the My Chevrolet app sends me a message then the Dealer clears them.

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heck yeah, we would be happy to help with a tune to disable AFM, plus we can help improve shifting, throttle response, and more.

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I will go with a tune. My 07 chrysler 300c just dropped a valve seat and tore up a couple pistons at 79k miles. I want to prevent anything similar happening to the Yukon.
Sounds good. Give us a call 877-809-4070 or email [email protected] if you have any questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14