Tech 2: No communication message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

Alberta Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't make a difference what or how I'm trying to access information. Something as simple as retrieving any stored DTC's gets the no comms message. Same applies for selecting the PCM, BCM or whatever other modules I have. No comms.

OP
OP
A

Alberta Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An update for those that may be interested.
I went with my code reader first as I've had the most luck with it.
Here's the scoop:
After letting the disconnected battery charge for a few days, reconnecting gives full functionality to the dash. Gauges sweep as normal, etc. No start or crank as before.
All gauges come on as normal then shut down after 30 seconds.
In the meantime the dash display shows:
Check tire pressure
Reduced engine power
Service stability
Service 4wd
Also in that 30 second window my scan tool picked up DTC U0107. Lost Communication with Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module
Then comms via the scan tool are lost. Everything just shuts off on it's own.
Gauges stop working as normal (e.g. fuel gauge shows empty rather than the 1/2 tank that's there).
The ignition key has no function: Remove key, idiot lights stay on. Daytime lights stay on. Disconnecting battery resets lights however gauges are still inoperative.
Battery voltage drops from 13.4 to 12.7 in 30 seconds.
That where I'm at at the moment.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you have more problems than first mentioned. An electrical drain like you describe can be hard to locate. Besides the BCM harness, I’d check the positive battery cable as well as all grounds. It sounds to me like you don’t have enough voltage to power up pretty much anything. I’d also first try a different battery, it could be as simple as that.

OP
OP
A

Alberta Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've listed all of the problems that have cropped up but they're spread out across several threads in an attempt to get to the bottom of this.
It all started with an intermittent electrical dropout when travelling over rough roads or hitting a pot hole at cruising speeds.
From there it's led to a no start/no crank condition.
Etc, etc.
Undoubtedly the connections are suspect. That it's been sitting for a year outdoors (in this part of the world) hasn't helped any.
As for the battery, I've used several. All with the same results.
I had mentioned before that I've replaced the electrical portion of the ignition switch. That calls for a key re-learn however, the dash functionality, or lack of it, is preventing the use of the re-learn procedure. That is to say, the security light doesn't stay on as is the requirement and any attempt at the re-learn has no effect.
It's a safe bet that the original problem is corrosion related and is still there. But it's been compounded by additional issues not the least of which is my unnecessarily replacing the ignition switch. That has most certainly made matters worse.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An update for those that may be interested.
I went with my code reader first as I've had the most luck with it.
Here's the scoop:

Have you used the Tech2 with an external power source different from the truck's OBDII or cigar lighter?

Our 2004 Montana has communication issues as well. Can't see everything with the Tech2. Since it runs and drives just left it alone.

OP
OP
A

Alberta Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting you should ask.
When first connected and the cigar lighter fuse blown, I had to use the external 12VDC power supply to get things up and running. I managed to see a DTC list (or similar connection to a menu) however after about a 30 second interval, all comms stopped. Typical of the way the dash functions. All gauges sweep as they should when a fresh battery has been installed (or charged) but it all drops out after a bit. That's also how the code reader performed. It could establish comms with the various components (PCM/BCM/et al) but after a bit, comms dropped.
Points to some connection somewhere creating a drain or a back feed due to a bad connection, connectors, etc.
I deal with this kind of thing every day as an industrial automation electrician. Hundreds of connection points and various hardware and software to deal with. It pains me to have this machine get the better of me. That said, I know that taking it apart, literally, and putting it back together will solve the problem. But no thanks.
I'm still looking for the short answer.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting you should ask.
When first connected and the cigar lighter fuse blown, I had to use the external 12VDC power supply to get things up and running. I managed to see a DTC list (or similar connection to a menu) however after about a 30 second interval, all comms stopped. Typical of the way the dash functions. All gauges sweep as they should when a fresh battery has been installed (or charged) but it all drops out after a bit. That's also how the code reader performed. It could establish comms with the various components (PCM/BCM/et al) but after a bit, comms dropped.
Points to some connection somewhere creating a drain or a back feed due to a bad connection, connectors, etc.
I deal with this kind of thing every day as an industrial automation electrician. Hundreds of connection points and various hardware and software to deal with. It pains me to have this machine get the better of me. That said, I know that taking it apart, literally, and putting it back together will solve the problem. But no thanks.
I'm still looking for the short answer.

How about a shiny new BCM? Hunting down a short inside one of those profiteth little.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9