Tap into rear Aux Power for back-up camera installation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Jack Noble

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just wanted to follow up and post here for anyone that finds this thread later on. Ultimately, I wound up just running a new power line from the camera along with the video cable all the way up to the engine bay. I could not find a fuse in the cabin fuse box which was ignition triggered that was an unimportant enough system to tap into, so I decided to go all the way up to the main fuse box and tap into the Misc. Ignition fuse with my add-a-circuit. I had a tough time trying to get my cables through the firewall, so I wound up drilling a new whole rather than risking messing up the main rubber grommet.

So now, I have a front camera right under the chevy emblem up front, and a rear camera above the rear license plate, both of which receive constant power so that I can toggle through them whenever I like. And the rear camera comes on automatically when I shift into reverse. Pretty slick little setup.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only thing I can think is if it has power while key off, if that socket does then the issue would be the camera would be on and powered always and would be a power drain esp while the truck sits. if it is keyed power it would just mean the camera would have power whenever the key is on.. may be as good an idea to put it on a switch that has switched power.

I think all cigarette lighters are always powered. One of the things I love about this truck.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to follow up and post here for anyone that finds this thread later on. Ultimately, I wound up just running a new power line from the camera along with the video cable all the way up to the engine bay. I could not find a fuse in the cabin fuse box which was ignition triggered that was an unimportant enough system to tap into, so I decided to go all the way up to the main fuse box and tap into the Misc. Ignition fuse with my add-a-circuit. I had a tough time trying to get my cables through the firewall, so I wound up drilling a new whole rather than risking messing up the main rubber grommet.

So now, I have a front camera right under the chevy emblem up front, and a rear camera above the rear license plate, both of which receive constant power so that I can toggle through them whenever I like. And the rear camera comes on automatically when I shift into reverse. Pretty slick little setup.

Under the driver's side dash there is a junction block to the left of the brake pedal that has ign on signal you can use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Klis