Take Steering message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2k17yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have had it come on as i was passing through a construction zone and also where the lines/markers are being moved.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm if my system is operating correctly? I have a 2019 GMC Yukon SLT with lane keep assist as part of the build sheet data. In my opinion, the lane keep assist works very well. The lane keep assist icon will change from GREEN to AMBER and then the electric steering will attempt to correct me. It is very accurate and does a good job.

However, if I don't signal and the vehicle does move out of the lane, nothing happens. The icon doesn't flash at all and just turns off completely as if it is no longer detecting any lane markings. In the two months I have owned the vehicle I have never experienced a lane departure warning of any kind. I have my alerts set to AUDIBLE so I should be hearing a beep rather than a seat vibration.

However I am getting proper beeping for the front and rear parking sensors. But, I don't get any beeping for the blind spot alert. The symbol in the mirror will flash but I do not get any audible alert for that either.

I'm trying to determine if everything is functioning as intended or not. From my searching there is no sound answer as it seems vehicle owners have a lot of varying things to say about lane keep assist/lane departure warning.

Sarah_279

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm if my system is operating correctly? I have a 2019 GMC Yukon SLT with lane keep assist as part of the build sheet data. In my opinion, the lane keep assist works very well. The lane keep assist icon will change from GREEN to AMBER and then the electric steering will attempt to correct me. It is very accurate and does a good job.

However, if I don't signal and the vehicle does move out of the lane, nothing happens. The icon doesn't flash at all and just turns off completely as if it is no longer detecting any lane markings. In the two months I have owned the vehicle I have never experienced a lane departure warning of any kind. I have my alerts set to AUDIBLE so I should be hearing a beep rather than a seat vibration.

However I am getting proper beeping for the front and rear parking sensors. But, I don't get any beeping for the blind spot alert. The symbol in the mirror will flash but I do not get any audible alert for that either.

I'm trying to determine if everything is functioning as intended or not. From my searching there is no sound answer as it seems vehicle owners have a lot of varying things to say about lane keep assist/lane departure warning.

Nanny systems seem to be strangely both competent and incompetent at the same time.

I'm guessing you've tried it on various stretches of road with the same results. If I'm reading your description right, the LKA works when you drift around inside the lane...but not when you move all the way out of the lane? If the system detects that you are actively steering at all, it won't do anything. If your windshield is dirty, or it's too bright out, certain 2 lane roads, etc, etc (lots of parameters) will cause it not to function. I can't tell you how mine acts because I have the LKA turned off. I'm not really a fan.

I can tell you that the blind spot monitor is loud and scary as hell when it goes off. I've had instances where it just flashes as a warning, as you have, and (once) I've had it flash and chirp and vibrate the seat but you have to be very close to the other vehicle to get all of that. I mean, Nascar-close. That only happened to me one time when someone flew up on me at 90 mph and things got frisky. Not because I'm a bad female driver, so don't get it twisted. (lol I'm kidding... I actually drive in the fetal position while talking on the phone, drinking coffee, doing my taxes and applying eyeliner.) You might not have gotten close enough to another driver to get the audible sounds. (?)

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my 2019 Yukon, I have tried it on the expressway and on various routes around town. I have also tried taking my hands off of the wheel and just letting it do its thing, just to take it sensing my steering input out of the question. I have yet to receive a lane departure warning of any kind either through audible alert or through the lane keep icon flashing but yes, the lane keep assist does work. The icon will change from green to amber and then the steering wheel will slightly turn automatically to move the vehicle back into the center of the lane if it is moving close to the line markers on either the left or right side of the road.

Luckily I haven't had any close calls with the blind spot monitor. When not using the turn signal, the indicator in the mirror will illuminate steady when there are vehicles located in your blind spot. If you are using the turn signal and there is a car in your blind spot, the indicator will flash rapidly. But I have not ever unintentionally moved into the path of a vehicle in my blind spot, so if it really does require there to be a serious close call in order to audibly report, I haven't achieved that level of inattentiveness quite yet.

I notice that the lane departure warning in both of my Wife's recent Nissan Rogues, a 2015 model and now a 2020 model, is a lot more annoying. The Nissan blind spot monitor is nice and will beep if it senses any vehicle in your blind spot when using the turn signal, even if you aren't making any terrible mistakes and getting close to touching. I think that function is helpful.

Of course neither of her Rogues came equipped with lane keep assist, but they did come equipped with the lane departure warning. We found it to be incredibly annoying, and so we turned it off. Any deviation in the lane and it would be audibly alerting you, and with pot holes and other obstacles that gets really old really quick.

I understand these systems are different since her Rogues do not have lane keep assist, but I just want to make sure that my GMC Yukon's lane departure warning is in fact functioning properly before the warranty runs out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC

Latest posts