Taillight Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xsimmiesx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Howdy,
Hopefully this hasn’t been posted before

I replaced my taillight housings and now my taillights are all over the place...

Driver side
Brake light = not working
Running = working
Blinker/Flasher = not working
Reverse = working

Passenger side
Brake light = not working
Running = not working
Blinker/Flasher = working
Reverse = working

I did recently replace my headlights with leds (hi/lo, 4 bulbs total) but they came with resistor boxes built in and before replacing the taillight housing they worked fine.

Please help

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Did you replace the taillights with oem parts? If not did you install aftermarket led taillights?

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Follow the wire harness on the passenger taillight. That harness hooks up to a connection just behind the tire on the lower side of the quarter panel. Check to see its loose. Another thing to check is the flasher by the steering wheel.

OP
OP
xsimmiesx

xsimmiesx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Follow the wire harness on the passenger taillight. That harness hooks up to a connection just behind the tire on the lower side of the quarter panel. Check to see its loose. Another thing to check is the flasher by the steering wheel.

Im assuming you mean the junction? I guess I’ll have to do the flasher relay
Thanks

OP
OP
xsimmiesx

xsimmiesx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update*

Replaced the Flasher Relay with a LED compatible one as well as the Junction box.
No change in issues
Order harnesses but they were wrong.

3B0BE081-260B-40F4-B7A0-2D0DB4A018CE.jpeg

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be a ground wire somewhere near rear taillights to body or frame. Might be underneath near where tail harness connects. Can check with multimeter from light socket. Clean frame /body/ground connection.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Did you install the bulbs in backwards seems fishy.Remove bulb put test light clip on ground and test for pwer at socket were bulb goes in for brake light and turn signal.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe you have some of the bulbs mixed up between the brake lights and turn/ park lights. Brake lights are single filament, turn/ park are dual filaments and aren’t interchangeable functionality wise although they fit in either socket. So if you put a turn/park bulb into the brake light socket, it won’t work and vise versus. Also if they’re LED (I’m assuming not since you said they’re OEM bulbs) they have polarity and only work if inserted the correct way.

OP
OP
xsimmiesx

xsimmiesx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
*UPDATE*

Fixed!
After going back through and rechecking everything I discovered a faulty bulb that looked fine but was actually burned out so replaced it with led (since I already did the led relay) and got it working.

Thanks everyone for the tips and help.

6804BF7E-2E34-42B3-A952-0A33CF8AC10B.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Run4st