Tail light LED upgrade with Philips 921LED

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by LGSONE, Feb 6, 2016.

1. sfc_jones

sfc_jones Full Access Member

Name:
    Tim
  2. BK76

BK76 Full Access Member

Name:
    BYRON
    and possibly get Herpes if you bought the bulbs from a 2nd party. lol

05Single and Tonyrodz like this.
  3. TOYSTRY

TOYSTRY Full Access Member

Name:
    Jason
    Anyone need a set of these, I have a brand new pair still sealed in the box. Sold my Tahoe before I installed them.

4. jsams22

jsams22 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Justin
    Has anyone with a Yukon that has performed this upgrade experienced total tail light failure afterwards?

I have been using these LED lights as my reverse lights in the Yukon and just experiences both of my tail lights go out within days of each other. But when I replaced my LED reverse light back to the stock OEM incandescent bulb, the light still didnt work, then in the morning it started working again. I really dont think the reverse LED bulbs would cause the brake light LED panel to go out, but wanted to get your thoughts.

Link to LED bulbs I am using: https://tinyurl.com/ycavlglk

5. Mad Maxx

Mad Maxx Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    You have other problems going on. The LED Reverse Bulbs aren't going to cause that, because as you saw when you replaced the bulb, the Reverse Bulbs are on a completely different Circuit than the Tail Lights themselves.

6. W8TVI

W8TVI Full Access Member

Name:
    Noel
    This is what I'm using on my '00 Yukon XL with aftermarket tails.

If you are using stock tail light assemblies, get anything that has a nice clear lens over the reverse lights. With the stock incandescents, you will instantly be able to see so much better behind you. If you get ether of those LEDs that @Cattivo or I linked to (two different kinds of LEDs), it'll make it even better. I was going to get some LED fog lights for the rear until I got these LED reverse lights.

I have a post on my build thread that shows the difference between incandescents and the LEDs if you are interested.

If you want to see if how bright the replacement tail lights look with stock incandescent reverse bulbs, I have a video in this post.