Tahoe Z71 renovation project - Cracked Dash Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way I see it, if the underside is supported and the top side is wrapped in vinyl, especially one with a fiber backing, then if it does crack, it shouldn't be visible because each side of the cracked pieces will remain flush and on the same plane.

fireboat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I replaced mine about a year ago with a new dash. The new ones do have a little more reinforcement. Still, I wanted to make sure that the new one would not crack anytime soon. So I epoxied wood paint sticks in different places. I figured the paint sticks would be flexible enough so as not to cause increased stress adjacent to the sticks.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pics of OP's fix and wrap are awesome. But the number of hours.....

My dash was crackrd on rt and lft. so it "flapped" in the middle which drove you nuts....

So the Dashskin worked perfect....no rattle.

OP
OP
T

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pics of OP's fix and wrap are awesome. But the number of hours.....

This is the third interior "re-do" that i've done in my time. Every one has gone the same way - starts out sounding like a great idea, with me thinking "yeah I can do this, no big deal", and ends with me saying "i'm never F-ing doing this again". Every time i'm super glad I did it, but also resolve to never try it again.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the third interior "re-do" that i've done in my time. Every one has gone the same way - starts out sounding like a great idea, with me thinking "yeah I can do this, no big deal", and ends with me saying "i'm never F-ing doing this again". Every time i'm super glad I did it, but also resolve to never try it again.

you sound “conflcted” LOL.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Now I understand why they crack. There’s entirely too much surface area that’s floating without support. The material choice doesn’t have enough UV protection baked in their recipe.

The result of pulling the entire dash for perfect prep and unobstructed access is the way to go. The shop I spoke to about a recover told me to time the job with my windshield replacement. They wanted to skim the dash (still installed) in a flexible curing product then apply the new material while the glass was out.

Nice trim work. You got me motivated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I understand why they crack. There’s entirely too much surface area that’s floating without support. The material choice doesn’t have enough UV protection baked in their recipe.

The result of pulling the entire dash for perfect prep and unobstructed access is the way to go. The shop I spoke to about a recover told me to time the job with my windshield replacement. They wanted to skim the dash (still installed) in a flexible curing product then apply the new material while the glass was out.

Nice trim work. You got me motivated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow that would be a job for sure. No idea how you could wrap the dash without removing it. No way I would have been able to do it.

Honestly, with the amount of work involved in wrapping the dash, the removal process becomes almost a non-factor. Took me like 40 mins to remove the dash, about an hour to repair it, then about 6 hours to wrap it.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never thought about wrapping the dash. It looks great, nicely done.

Random questions. Did you use any padding under the leather?
Do you have any pictures in the car with the dash removed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2