Tahoe/Yukon Headlight Information Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Silverstar Ultras are nice but I haven't been able to get a full year out of them yet. That brighter whiter light comes at a price of burning out fast.
Weird, mine have been installed for about 2 years. My headlight housings show no signs of moisture inside and I make sure to either wear latex gloves or use a paper towel so as not to directly touch the bulbs when installing.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

dro45

Reaction score
Silverstar Ultras are nice but I haven't been able to get a full year out of them yet. That brighter whiter light comes at a price of burning out fast.

That is what I gathered by reading a ton of reviews of different bulbs on Amazon. Nice for a while, but they burn out quickly. Probably not doing that. I even thought of putting on a small bull bar to mount some decent driving lights. Maybe some Cibie Super Oscars? :)

Seriously, I can't believe how bad the stock headlights are on the 2009 Yukon. A friend has a 2012 Acadia and it seems to have 50% more light from stock setup.

dro45

Reaction score
Weird, mine have been installed for about 2 years. My headlight housings show no signs of moisture inside and I make sure to either wear latex gloves or use a paper towel so as not to directly touch the bulbs when installing.

I suspect you are right that a lot of the negative reviews on Amazon are due to mishandling the bulbs.

Fir_Na_Tine

Reaction score

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

I have used latex gloves when installing them before. I never had a moisture problem though. But recently I have noticed on the one headlight the center piece that covers the front of the bulb, the hood thing or whatever you call it, is loose now. Might have to buy a new housing.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, I've read all the way through this thread, including the awesome pinned first posts. I am not a hobbyist, just a driver who drives at night in deer country. I simply need as much light to the distant sides of the road on high beam, so I can spot deer about to cross the road. Deer vs. auto happens to somebody just about every day.

After all this time, is there a simple bolt on solution for a 2009 Yukon? I don't need flamethrowers, just as much light as I can get for a very reasonable amount of money.

Sure appreciate input on this.
I suggest you re-aim them before changing the bulb they might be pointing at the ground

I got luckly mine are perfectly aimed

and the HIGH beams are hella bright

It has the Quad mod I guess ..

dro45

Reaction score
I suggest you re-aim them before changing the bulb they might be pointing at the ground

I got luckly mine are perfectly aimed

and the HIGH beams are hella bright

It has the Quad mod I guess ..

I "think" they are aimed correctly, but you might be right. I'll get out there and check that. Thanks!

ChuckC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I, too, am only getting about 1 year out of Silverstar Ultras on my 2009 Yukon Hybrid. Still looking for an LED option for my stock housing/projectors.

headala

Reaction score
Thanks for this amazing resource. Now I gotta figure out this new world of retrofit..

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would discourage the silver stars. Over priced, under performing.

Philips xtreme vision/power have been good to me on my fords.

If yours takes the same as our last 2011 hoe then the h11 can be converted to h9 and the 9005 to 9011 VERY easily with large increases in light output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
white label Philips bulbs the high beams worked great compared to sylvania bulbs those high beams just threw the light in the trees not on the road like the philips bulbs do

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what I gathered by reading a ton of reviews of different bulbs on Amazon. Nice for a while, but they burn out quickly. Probably not doing that. I even thought of putting on a small bull bar to mount some decent driving lights. Maybe some Cibie Super Oscars? :)

Seriously, I can't believe how bad the stock headlights are on the 2009 Yukon. A friend has a 2012 Acadia and it seems to have 50% more light from stock setup.

I always turn my headlight switch from Auto to Parking lights and hit the foglight switch if driving more than 15 minutes during the daytime. Saves the Silverstars from burning during daylight.

I would put HID's in if they werent such a PITA to change.