Tahoe weight reduction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you read the first 2 sentences of the original post, you would know that I have a turboed engine to go in a tahoe, yukon, escalade. I want to go 10's in a big truck on street tires. Why? Because everybody has a fast mustang. That would be too easy. Plus tahoes are cheap. And generally in nicer condition then silverados of the same year.

2004 lq4
243 heads
jfr 218/221 cam
converted to flex fuel, primarily e70
BTR dual spring kit
manley pushrods
Huron speed turbo kit
vs racing 7875 cast wheel turbo
head studs
ls9 head gaskets
walbro 450 in the tank, aem 380 with a sump on a hobbs switch
-8 feed, -6 return with referenced fpr
id1700 fuel injectors
billet triple disc 3000 stall
Fresh built 80e (would have to get torn down for a 4x4 ouput shaft)

I have a billet t4 s480 I could also install, but I love how fast the 7875 spools.

So install all this, AND lose some weight.....

NO, you didn't. Your first post said you had a cam and turbo. Here, Ill save you a trip to page 1.
First post. Long story short, I have an 04 2500hd 2wd with cam and turbo. I was going to swap everything over to a silverado 1500 4x4 this winter. Then started thinking about tahoes.

How light could I get a 2004ish tahoe 4x4? Remove 2nd and third row seats, rear air, hitch, spare. Add 4l80e, 2wd escalade 9.5 14 bolt, turbo kit.

If I could get it down to 5000 with me at 180, it could be a 10 sec truck. At 5550 with me in the silverado, the truck went 11.61 at only 13 psi.
It took you four pages to post your specs and clarify. Up to then we had no idea if you slapped on an ebay kit, and called it good. Honestly, for what your first post was acting it came across as really lazy that you didn't search at all, and I wouldn't have put it past you.

Twice you have said you wanted to do something other than what everybody else has done.... MANY MANY people have made a fast two seater. If you want to do something special: go build yourself a vehicle out of everything you can buy off the shelf at target. Go weld together some axles out of some desk and torchiere lamps. Get a hammer from aisle 17, and pound out the edges of some baking trays from aisle 6, then weld those together for some body panels.

IF YOU WEREN'T JUST LOOKING FOR THE EASY WAY: and wanted something really cool that other people don't have: Don't lose weight, add another thousand pounds, that won't make that much of a difference. Keep your full interior, and put 6 other people in it when you do a 10 second run. THAT WOULD BE COOL, and it would be cool for at least 6 more people. Telling your friends or family they need to bring there helmets, or go buy them headsocks, and try to borrow some helmets. Have them ride in the back (with the windows down(?)), for a 10 second run..... now THATS cool.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rpm-inc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
NO, you didn't. Your first post said you had a cam and turbo. Here, Ill save you a trip to page 1.
It took you four pages to post your specs and clarify. Up to then we had no idea if you slapped on an ebay kit, and called it good. Honestly, for what your first post was acting it came across as really lazy that you didn't search at all, and I wouldn't have put it past you.

Twice you have said you wanted to do something other than what everybody else has done.... MANY MANY people have made a fast two seater. If you want to do something special: go build yourself a vehicle out of everything you can buy off the shelf at target. Go weld together some axles out of some desk and torchiere lamps. Get a hammer from aisle 17, and pound out the edges of some baking trays from aisle 6, then weld those together for some body panels.

IF YOU WEREN'T JUST LOOKING FOR THE EASY WAY: and wanted something really cool that other people don't have: Don't lose weight, add another thousand pounds, that won't make that much of a difference. Keep your full interior, and put 6 other people in it when you do a 10 second run. THAT WOULD BE COOL, and it would be cool for at least 6 more people. Telling your friends or family they need to bring there helmets, or go buy them headsocks, and try to borrow some helmets. Have them ride in the back (with the windows down(?)), for a 10 second run..... now THATS cool.

You are getting a little crazy now. My first post was perfectly clear. The last sentence said the truck went 11.61 @5500 lbs. That should tell you the engine is no slouch. Why do you care so much that I am asking how much weight could be shed from a tahoe? Why did I have to post any specs? Its not a secret, but had nothing do with weight reduction, so I didn't bother. I don't care what anybody else has done.

And if you didn't know, every hundred pounds removed is about a tenth in the quarter.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are getting a little crazy now. My first post was perfectly clear. The last sentence said the truck went 11.61 @5500 lbs. That should tell you the engine is no slouch. Why do you care so much that I am asking how much weight could be shed from a tahoe? Why did I have to post any specs? Its not a secret, but had nothing do with weight reduction, so I didn't bother. I don't care what anybody else has done.

And if you didn't know, every hundred pounds removed is about a tenth in the quarter.

Your 11.61 @ 5500lbs doesn't tell me squat about your engine. It doesn't tell me what you have done for reliability, or anything about any of your mods.

You could have spent a few minutes searching and got the answer to your silly question about how much the seats weigh, but other posters took it farther and tried to give you a bigger picture, you call them sidetracking your thread.

OBVIOUSLY, YOU DO CARE what other people have done... That's the entire point of this thread. If you only cared about GO, you wouldn't be trying to make a 2 seater out of a Tahoe. Clearly your MAIN priority IS SHOW.

Why is it irritating that I want to drive around the waterbox at the track, and run 10's with a stock looking tahoe? .
You just don't care what other people think IN HERE, unless they are telling you what you want to hear.

Yeah, I'm sure we all know the saying.. Do you think that applies evenly for a sub 4K LB car as it does a 5K + LB SUV?

OP
OP
R

rpm-inc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Your 11.61 @ 5500lbs doesn't tell me squat about your engine. It doesn't tell me what you have done for reliability, or anything about any of your mods.

The title of the thread is "tahoe weight reduction", not "adriver, is this reliable and do you like my mods?"

You could have spent a few minutes searching and got the answer to your silly question about how much the seats weigh, but other posters took it farther and tried to give you a bigger picture, you call them sidetracking your thread.

I googled plenty before I joined and posted.

OBVIOUSLY, YOU DO CARE what other people have done... That's the entire point of this thread. If you only cared about GO, you wouldn't be trying to make a 2 seater out of a Tahoe. Clearly your MAIN priority IS SHOW.

What??????

You just don't care what other people think IN HERE, unless they are telling you what you want to hear.

I want to hear solid numbers on weight removal. A few guesses, and some goofball telling me to run 10's with 6 people in it.

Yeah, I'm sure we all know the saying.. Do you think that applies evenly for a sub 4K LB car as it does a 5K + LB SUV?

I doubt it would go slower.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could have found the seat weight anywhere on ebay shipping charges. You could have found the seat weight on any number of Silverado or Tahoe sites. Or what the easiest thing to do would have been to get off your ass, go remove the two bolts and two nuts holding in your exact same seat in your Silverado. You should be able to know close enough whether power or not, whether front seat or second row; yet for some reason you think every little pound matters. Its not a multi-million dollar race car. You will have more of a variation from the seat weight: if you will be dehydrated, if you have just eaten, or if you need to take a shit.

OK, I'll try to spell it out a little more as far as how much you really do care what other people think. That's your priority in this supposed build. You say all you need is two seats, but instead of putting this drivetrain in an S10, blazer, trailblazer, or anyone of the other great options from 30+ years ago, you want to put it to something that weighs more than all of them BY A LOT, and then cry over a few pounds.. WTF??

If this was about going down the track, didn't need more than four seats, and your chassis options are completely open, then a Tahoe is right near the bottom of the list. You said it yourself, this is how you want other people to look at your vehicle. Yet you're taking the seats out, so its not even about how people you know look at you. You ***** about the difference in 5 pounds, when you have the option to pick up something almost 2,000 lbs lighter. Because you want to try to "stun people, or prove something". YOU'RE NOT EVEN BUILDING THIS FOR YOU... You are saying you want to build a vehicle, that YOU will drive, because of how other people will look at you.... That's sad.

There's another personal name-calling, I knew we weren't far off from another one.. "goofball"? OK dude. Again, whether or not you realize it, we are trying to point out a few things to you, but you just want people to tell you its going to be okay. The rest of the thread like me, is trying to give you other things to consider, but that's too much for you.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...the truck went 11.61 @5500 lbs.

A Tahoe weighs about that empty depending on options. Figure 5800-5900 pounds race weight of a fully optioned truck with a 200 pound driver. So rough estimate, the Tahoe would be about .3-.4 tenths and 3-5 mph slower.

OP
OP
R

rpm-inc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
LOL, the tahoe police! I did find some info on another turbo tahoe. Not only did he remove the middle and rear seats, he switched to an aluminum block, and drilled holes in the rear bumper!!!OMG! I can get you his instagram info so you can school him.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, the tahoe police! I did find some info on another turbo tahoe. Not only did he remove the middle and rear seats, he switched to an aluminum block, and drilled holes in the rear bumper!!!OMG! I can get you his instagram info so you can school him.

It's not secret that lighter cars are faster then heavier. When we used to drag race our Buicks, lots of guys would put on aluminum brake drums, bumper supports and even remove their steel bumpers and aluminum hoods for fiberglass. Did they go faster? Slightly and at great expense. Some of them always wondered why my short times on radials were better than theirs on slicks and my contention, which fell on deaf ears, was the weight. I could leave a little harder and not blow the tires but having a factory rollout was my real secret which is not the subject of this thread anyhow.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You should ask them if they already had there driveline in a pickup, and thought about buying a heavier Tahoe to take it all out and swap was there original plan. Then see if they cried about less weight than a couple gallons of gas.

OP
OP
R

rpm-inc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What's up guys? Been a while. Definitely time to retire the 2500hd. What about taking a 70s c10 and putting it on an escalade chassis? The rest of the escalade would obviously be scrapped. NP149, 4l80e, lc9, 228/228 cam, Borg S480. I think that would be cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons