Tahoe Totaled..today heavy vandalism

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lweisenb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks like years of abuse, if you just bought this vehicle in the last month I would bet they were using a wax with heavy filler/colorant to make the paint look better and everyday a little more is wearing off (common practice at many shady used car dealerships). Proper paint repair is EXPENSIVE especially a vehicle this size with this much neglect, much easier to cover it up. Good news is that looks like it could be corrected, bad news is that it's a lot of work and pretty expensive if your not doing it yourself (no where near as expensive as paint though).

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If done correctly the correction will be permanent. What you’re describing would be a waste of money

Can you send a link to a product or name one that you like? colored wax...

hagar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That entire paint looks like an old farm truck or some work truck that took years of paint scratches from various things. Or someone that used to wash it with a brush when covered in mud or something.

As has already been suggested, could very well be the layer of black wax coming off after a month that was used to cover it all up for sale.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya when I wax mine I think yay I got rid of all those scratches, lol then weeks later there back :(

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have learned, through much trial & error, that proper paint correction takes more steps, and a more aggressive approach, than at first seems necessary---and some car care products actually 'hide' issues in paint rather than remove them. :)

To remove clearly visible scratches, you've got to take the paint down enough in depth to actually level the unscratched surface with the scratches. While that depth is not quite as much as you might fear, it's more than most people know how to get down to until they work with the proper product (compound), DA polisher and technique. But once you know and become comfortable with these pieces of the puzzle, it's suddenly easy.

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. are you sure you didn't accidentally cause the damage when pressure washing the paint at the car wash?

2. if the previous owner/dealer covered the scratches with a tinted wax and you pressure washed it clean, you most likely stripped the wax and uncovered the scratches

i agree with the others that mentioned the scratches look weird.
pretty shady the other side of the suv was fine

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pretty shady the other side of the suv was fine

The previous owner may have parked on the same side of the garage every day, putting the passenger's side against a wall, and them and their kid(s) just accessed the cabin from the drivver's side, beating the hell out of it. Purse or keys hanging from pocket, car seat, tricycle or bicycle handle bars, etc.

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would like to park in my assigned space....
The previous owner may have parked on the same side of the garage every day, putting one side against a wall, and them and their kid(s) beat the hell out of the accessible side.
shady of the dealer to put a dressing on it to pass it off in better condition then it actually was

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have learned, through much trial & error, that proper paint correction takes more steps, and a more aggressive approach, than at first seems necessary---and some car care products actually 'hide' issues in paint rather than remove them. :)

To remove clearly visible scratches, you've got to take the paint down enough in depth to actually level the unscratched surface with the scratches. While that depth is not quite as much as you might fear, it's more than most people know how to get down to until they work with the proper product (compound), DA polisher and technique. But once you know and become comfortable with these pieces of the puzzle, it's suddenly easy.
^^this

IMO color wax is junk. Actual paint correction you need to level the surface via DA, compound and proper pad. May take more than one step to do so. Aggressiveness depends on how bad the issue is.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would like to park in my assigned space....

shady of the dealer to put a dressing on it to pass it off in better condition then it actually was

They often do much worse. In their defense, the PO could've hid the damage before trading it in. This type of vehicle is popular with new moms and most of 'em don't give a shit about protecting the paint. Strollers, bejeweled diaper bags, their gigantic purses with metal chains and zipper pulls, car seats and whatever else they need to get in and out of the car get dragged and bumped all along the sides. Fortunately, most of these items are plastic so they don't dig too deeply into the paint and mostly just scratch the clear coat, which can be buffed out much more easily than full-on paint correction. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the PO or dealer did the tinted wax trick.