Tahoe started to run weird!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just drove it around the neighborhood and it threw P0300 and its smelled like cats backed up. So should I try the lacquer thinner fix?
I don’t know what that is but if they’re bad then they need to be replaced. A shop can do a flow test or there are other ways to check. And if your CEL is flashing, you’ll do engine damage if you keep driving it.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once you start approaching the 150k+ mile range, the days are numbered for converters.

This was the cat on my 05 Jeep 4.0L... The chunks you see in there were ceramic material from the mini-cat up front on the collector pipe. We don't have those on the GM trucks, but look inside the main converter in my hand.

Behind the chunks from the mini-cat, most of the main ceramic honey comb was clogged. I don't think lacquer thinner or Cataclean would have helped much!
20190709_181712.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not unless you can tune out those downstream O2 sensors.

Or plug in some MIL Eliminator (basically a resistor on the O2 plug).

Or the spark plug non-foulers. I've seen some purpose-made variants that use steel wool in them to better filter the exhaust from the sensors.

OP
OP
hertahoe

hertahoe

Reaction score
So I swapped coil #1 to #3. Idled a little rough and drove it to a street that I could accelerate and it threw P0303. So that means I have a bad coil! Going to store for one to see if it solves the issue.

Edit - It worked. Thanks for all the assistance.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9