Tahoe stalls when warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jim Adler

Jim Adler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Quick update: I’ve decided to have a mechanic do the work and the re-learn. He’s a friend so he’ll cut me some slack on labor cost. He’s coming over tomorrow after work so let’s hope having the crankshaft position sensor replaced fixes it.

02Z71Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't know there was anything else required since all it does is feed back a status. Mine is an 02 though so there are definitely some difference, but I just swapped em.
Always good to have a buddy to help though. Good luck, and let us know how the test drive goes.

OP
OP
Jim Adler

Jim Adler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Damn it! I thought that was it. I got in and drove probably 45 mins b4 it started doing the same thing. I really thought that was it. Back to the drawing board I guess. I have to figure this out or else the truck is destined for the scrap yard. I’m wondering what else I could replace.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Still would like to know what that fuel pressure is when this happens but I have run out of breath asking.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Before you use that "fuel pressure tester thing", I would make sure of it's usage to prevent a fuel spill and possible fire. Plus, unless you get the long enough hose adapter for it, you will not be able to feed it out under the back of the hood and tape to w/s to see while driving. There are at least 2-3 others that responded wanting to know the fuel pressure reading when this failure occurs. When you FIRST FEEL the vehicle dying, it is important to see the pressure and watch it as it dies. Maybe even have someone else drive while you watch on the p/s w/s, for safety sake.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I didn't see it mentioned or maybe missed it, but if your '04 truck is Flex Fuel there should be a fuel filter on the driver's side rail, just forward of the fuel tank. The Flex Fuel sensor is there, too, if yours is FF. How long since the filter's been changed?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I didn't see it mentioned or maybe missed it, but if your '04 truck is Flex Fuel there should be a fuel filter on the driver's side rail, just forward of the fuel tank. The Flex Fuel sensor is there, too, if yours is FF. How long since the filter's been changed?
God call on the filter. If you change just the filter and it is fixed, I would still be worried about the pump from trying so hard to push fuel thru a severely clogged filter. All my years, never saw a fuel filter cause a dying rig of these models but that does mean it did not happen. If the fuel pump is found to be the culprit, you replace the fuel filter at the same time, no questions asked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17