Tahoe stalls when warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim Adler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sup errybody! So I have 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 5.3L and the sumab!+c# keeps dying but only after I’ve driven it for probably 5 or so minutes. It seems like it’s doing this once the truck warms up. I’ll try starting it back up and it usually takes 3 or 4 tries till it does, but it does for another minute or so then it does again. I’ve replaced the battery, throttle body, tps sensor, and replaced the fuel filter. I don’t think it’s the fuel pu either although I do have a new one on standby just in case. I can’t figure this one out. No codes either, but I’m just using a cheap little code reader so I dunno. Any suggestions??

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

You need to stick to basics and find out what you lose when the truck dies. Lose spark? Lose fuel pressure? When it dies does it have to be driven or can it sit and idle and then dies? Does it shut off like a light switch or does it spit, sputter and cough before dying?

OP
OP
Jim Adler

Jim Adler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

You need to stick to basics and find out what you lose when the truck dies. Lose spark? Lose fuel pressure? When it dies does it have to be driven or can it sit and idle and then dies? Does it shut off like a light switch or does it spit, sputter and cough before dying?
My apologies, to answer your questions specifically it does not seem like it’s losing spark or fuel pressure. When I do drive it while it’s cold it’ll go 5 or 10 minutes before acting like it’s gettin no gas. I’ll step on the gas pedal and the rpm’s drop faster till it dies. No spitting and sputtering just normal one second, the next I get no gas pedal response.

OP
OP
Jim Adler

Jim Adler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My apologies, to answer your questions specifically it does not seem like it’s losing spark or fuel pressure. When I do drive it while it’s cold it’ll go 5 or 10 minutes before acting like it’s gettin no gas. I’ll step on the gas pedal and the rpm’s drop faster till it dies. No spitting and sputtering just normal one second, the next I get no gas pedal response.
But only after it’s warmed up to right at the first quarter mark on ur temp gauge.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Need the fuel pressure reading when it is dying. That is why I asked, no answer yet, if it will die at idle or only dies while driving? The way you describe it when it is failing, does sound like a fuel delivery problem but as of now, we are just guessing. You can rent fuel pressure gauges and if you do, get the hose long enough to be read while driving.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as pmw stated really need to figure what you lose when it dies any of the above stated are possible. fuel pump is going bad but only dies when it warms up. coil packs are going bad and stop working once they warm up. could even just be the fuel pump relay gives up when it warms up.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

You are already receiving suggestions from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum, and others will chime in. It makes total sense to rent a gas pressure gauge, and then you can either confirm or remove the fuel pressure question out of the equation for your troubleshooting.

OP
OP
Jim Adler

Jim Adler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright, well today is my birthday so I’m not gonna be working on the truck today, but I will rent the gauge tomorrow and let you guys know. Thnx again everybody

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Alright, well today is my birthday so I’m not gonna be working on the truck today, but I will rent the gauge tomorrow and let you guys know. Thnx again everybody
Great. Make sure to ask them for a long enough hose that allows you to run the gauge out under the back of hood and tape to w/s so you can see what is happening. I still wish you would answer my question about whether it has to be driven or will do it at idle as well?

You did state the problem happens after driving for about 5 minutes but if happens at idle then the diagnostics get easier.

No answer. No further attempt to help. Others will chime in though but if you ask for help and we try to help, we need info we ask about.

OP
OP
Jim Adler

Jim Adler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No sir, I can let it sit and idle forever it seems like, but as soon as I start driving it’ll go maybe 5 minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bekahgentry

Latest posts