Tahoe SSV / LS-LT Noticeable Differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not all Tahoes do. It's an option, and you'll need to verify the one you're looking at has dual batteries, if it is important. They do, however, appear to come with the second tray, just none of the wiring if the option isn't checked.

cteske

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i just purchased PPV,
the bad : holes in roof (3) , black steel trims, holes in dash , abandoned wiring for lights and radios, spare battery tray. many small dents down both sides of car (i guess decal removal), no back seat, both back door wont open from inside, full of dog hair, some scrapes and dents from pole service. oil and fluids all need flush/replacement. needs brakes.

the good: interiror is very clean. VERY - VERY low price, everything is in good working order. has a lift kit installed. superior power and performance. nice take off, quick stops, beefy alternator (tons-o-power) . looks great.

next steps: plan to throw on new tires and rims, visors and rain guards. got a kits for dents, holes. seat covers. back seat from wrecker yards

2 days already looks like less of a cop car. all service work is done. I drove it 9 hours home (flawlessly) I'm really happy with it.

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My experience was similar-drove 3 days home. Mine had leather front seat and a console installed by dealer. I upgrade to 2018 Black Silverado wheels at Cooper ATs. Added complete stereo, satelitte radio, amps, camera. Next up will be carpet. I had a few minor mechanical things to correct (rear shocks, front/rear bushings, o2 sensors, front crash sensors) but getting a 2013 w/110k for just a tick of 11k seemed like a good price. Today, I don't think I could touch that year/mileage for anything less than 16-17k.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SSV's and PPV's have hydro boost power brake units. The rear calipers on these are also bigger. The front calipers are a little different too. I'll find out more when the weather changes. I'll compare my 2006 vs 2011 brakes a bit closer. Yes the PP/SSV's brakes are that much better.

Some not all SSV's and PPV's have aluminum hoods and or tailgates too.
This is not accurate for a nnbs.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you inspect it before you buy it. Try to get a 2011 or later if possible, due to some oil issues and AFM.
Yes, there will be leftover mounting holes, antennas, etc. Depends on the agency. Some got more use than others, all are equipped differently. If you find a former K-9 vehicle expect more wear and smell. As far as options, the standard power windows, door locks and base radio will be all present. Power front seats too. Most of the time they come with a new back seat. Prisoner seats and cages are removed and the removed back seats are put back in. They won't come with a third row or the brackets for it but that's and easy fix (under an hour).
What you won't get are frills like sun roofs, Onstar and heated seats. But you will pay a heck of a lot less for a (usually) nicely maintained Tahoe. The seats are usually cloth but they are extremely comfortable.
As far as ride quality, they ride a bit on the stiffer side but handling is extremely crisp. The drive train is the same as any other Tahoe. Computer programming is a bit different but that's easy to work with.
Being that these are fleet vehicles they come with certain things disabled at the factory for the particular agency they are sent to. The key fob will lock/unlock and do the rear hatch but the lights won't flash and honk when doing so. Fog lights will probably be removed as well. You may not get a center console with it. These are all bonuses in my opinion. Bottom line is that if you can, get one with lower miles. If it looks like it was beat on, wait for the next one. Most of them come with rubber floors front to back. This is my favorite feature.
If they removed the antennas you can get the rubber rain plugs on ebay. If they left the NMO antenna mounts you can get the rain caps too. I've had a blast with my SSV. It was in need of a lot of basic maintenance when I got it but it runs like a top now. The trucks are a minor challenge sometimes but for what you pay(or don't pay) they are really great. I paid 12k for mine and I have zero regrets. It even gets better MPG than the 08 Envoy it replaced.
i have seen a SSV with sunroof, nicely equipped and the normal FM ant on the passenger fender most likely a special order from the factory aluminium hood and tail gate..

unicorn though ... it was Martin O'Malley rig

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts