Tahoe PPV (police package)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkwilson16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
dkw,
If you liked the factory ride, email gmpartsdirect dot com. Give them your VIN and they will give you the exact replacement part per your VIN. They will also give you a better price than the dealer.

Aftermarket, Bell Tech adjustable struts seem to be popular.

Awesome, thanks for the quick response. With 24"s, which route will give the better/softer ride quality, and what about price comparison?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the quick response. With 24"s, which route will give the better/softer ride quality, and what about price comparison?

Any time :).
I think the factory PPV struts would be a little softer than the BTs. I've heard the BTs have a firm ride. The factory civilian struts may be a little softer. I think that may be the part numbers provided by the dealer.

Price comparison, I think you'll like this.
Here yah go from the part numbers provided by your other post.

Strut --- http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oe-gm/20765177

rear shocks --- http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oe-gm/25871234

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
i don't understand why we can't order civilian SUV's with the lowering kit.

my lowered tahoe got MUCH better MPG than my newest Tahoe, which is stock height.
seems like if it could pick up ~2mpg, lowering it would be a NO BRAINER.

i can't see many people stump-jumping in a $50k SUV anyways, so it seems like GM is freaking brain dead to have them ride so high, esp if you think about rollover and MPG.
Because people who want mall rated SUV's usually go Volvo, Hyundai or BMW.

04BUCKET

Reaction score
Anyone else experiencing a slight chassis vibration at 70+mph? Not dangerous by any means, but shakes coffee out of a cup in cup holder.

I had tires balanced, new u joints and still there. May try rebalancing again as younger tech did it for no charge at a dealer I service.

There is a very minor whine from pinion, but don't think its the culprit.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread. My local sheriffs department has SSV tahoes. At least I presume they are 4x4 as we live in a ski town in the mountains and we get snow up here They have super high up front ends. Kind of obnoxious as it puts their headlights directly into my rearview mirror through my tailgate, which also irritates me because they always have their highbeams on. It definitely sits higher than the back end. They sound beefy when they step on it. Which i see them do all the time.

Reaction score
Anyone else experiencing a slight chassis vibration at 70+mph? Not dangerous by any means, but shakes coffee out of a cup in cup holder.

I had tires balanced, new u joints and still there. May try rebalancing again as younger tech did it for no charge at a dealer I service.

There is a very minor whine from pinion, but don't think its the culprit.

It's your shocks/struts. The stock PPV shocks/struts arent really valved right for the truck, and can't control the wheels/tires (especially if you use anything other than the Goodyear Eagles) very well, especially at speed. I'm swapping to Bilstein 4600's next week in my department truck, I'll let you know how it goes.

Interesting thread. My local sheriffs department has SSV tahoes. At least I presume they are 4x4 as we live in a ski town in the mountains and we get snow up here They have super high up front ends. Kind of obnoxious as it puts their headlights directly into my rearview mirror through my tailgate, which also irritates me because they always have their highbeams on. It definitely sits higher than the back end. They sound beefy when they step on it. Which i see them do all the time.

Unless they installed some sort of leveling kit, the SSV is the same height as your standard LT Tahoe. Same 5.3L as well. Could be that they've got a few hundred pounds of gear in the back, and that's causing a reverse rake.

Out of curiosity, do you live in the Houston Heights?

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's your shocks/struts. The stock PPV shocks/struts arent really valved right for the truck, and can't control the wheels/tires (especially if you use anything other than the Goodyear Eagles) very well, especially at speed. I'm swapping to Bilstein 4600's next week in my department truck, I'll let you know how it goes.

Unless they installed some sort of leveling kit, the SSV is the same height as your standard LT Tahoe. Same 5.3L as well. Could be that they've got a few hundred pounds of gear in the back, and that's causing a reverse rake.

Out of curiosity, do you live in the Houston Heights?
I think our local ones have a front leveling kit. Every one I see sits up really high and the last time I was behind one it didnt look like there was anything in the tailgate.

Reaction score
I think our local ones have a front leveling kit. Every one I see sits up really high and the last time I was behind one it didnt look like there was anything in the tailgate.

Certainly could be. Boarder Patrol raise theirs. And cut the bumper in half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

04BUCKET

Reaction score

Please do. I will the same replacement if the Bilsteins fix this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins