Tahoe LT low oil pressure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Do you need to add more oil when using a larger filter?
Anytime you use a bigger filter you need to add oil accordingly. I have a longer filter I use for my rig because it has more filter element for my system. I have to add about 1/4 quart for the difference. Does it really mean anything for that extra filter size difference for the oil level? Maybe not but I just have to have it right on the money for the oil level.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anytime you use a bigger filter you need to add oil accordingly. I have a longer filter I use for my rig because it has more filter element for my system. I have to add about 1/4 quart for the difference. Does it really mean anything for that extra filter size difference for the oil level? Maybe not but I just have to have it right on the money for the oil level.
Technically, you're correct but in practice I haven't needed to. Mine is right up at the full line on the dipstick with the larger filter and the usual 6 quarts. In other words, the difference is so little on the dipstick as makes no difference.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on your pics it's 2007-2014. What is the year ans miles? If you're closer to the earlier years, I agree with @OR VietVet and @Geotrash in what they said. I'd also add if it's older, high miles, or hot climate you might be in the "I need a new oil pump o-ring club."
High miles. 165k and I live in Midwest. Usually cold a lot. Haven’t changed oil since got it from dealership. They said they did. But I doubt it. I don’t really know how to read dipsticks. It looks fine to me from just looking at it. No leaking underneath.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Normally I’m between 20-40 but lately it seems to be dropping? Oil level looks good but it’s reading low lately. At 17 PSI
I’ve had to change 3 oil sensor screens on my Tahoe and 2 for friends it gums up and would throw low oil pressure warnings
It’s located on the back driver side of the intake manifold and it’s a pita to do it the first time until you get it figured out
Also got to do it all by feel as you can’t see back there

Kenney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's an expensive parts cannon they have there. A proper diagnosis using established and well-documented methods would have been way cheaper. Hope they can get you squared away.
Thanks. Yeah they said they replaced the ECM so lets see if they give me a call today

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2014 with about 90k on it. Replaced the sensor and screen 2 years ago, had the issue again.
Ordered the parts and then did an oil change while waiting.
I still can't believe it but that oil change was the fix the second time around.
(I never have easy fixes...)

FrenchUSFan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have got same problem and solve it by changing oil (Valvoline 5W30 high mileage maxlife) and filter (ACDelco UPF48R). Now I have 25PSI at idle hot and 35-40PSI while driving

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts