Tahoe for Yukon Taillight Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmitchell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I finally pulled the trigger and ordered some Yukon taillights to swap out for my Tahoe tails. I like the look of the Yukon ones much better and they seem to compliment my Tahoe much better. The actual physical swap was fairly simple and just as straight forward as it was for the late models.

I had assumed that the wiring harness would be a simple plug and play as well but I'm having some issues I need help with. Here is what is happening:

1. The night time running lights (LED's) are working perfectly (see picture below). These are both LED on Tahoe & Yukon.
2. The reverse lights (non-LED) are working perfectly. Both non-LED on Tahoe & Yukon.
3. The brake lights (LED) are running through the yellow turn signal lights (LED) right now, so when the brakes are applied the yellow turn signals glow solid. I believe the Tahoe was non-LED and Yukon is LED for brake lights.
4. The yellow turn signals (LED) are functioning normal for the first 3 blinks, then I get an error message on the DIC that says rear blinker error/failure while the blinker continues to work but at twice the blinking speed. I believe Tahoe was non-LED and Yukon is LED for blinkers.

Based on the information above and the pictures below, what are your thoughts to get this operating properly? I'm thinking that some of the wires are just crossed right now and I need to rework the taillight harness but I haven't done much troubleshooting yet. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Below are a bunch of pictures with descriptions for the process...

Here are the Yukon and Tahoe tails side by side. They are the exact same size and shape...
20140515_225457.jpg

Here is the back of the Tahoe taillight with wiring shown...
20140516_1205122.jpg

Here is the back of the Yukon taillight with wiring shown...
20140515_2253062.jpg

This black plastic retainer piece will come with each of the taillights. You will not need these since they are already installed on the vehicle under the taillight (see other picture)...
20140515_233408.jpg

Carefully remove the black plastic piece that covers the T-10 screws for the taillight assembly. This piece is held on by 3 retainer clips. Carefully start from the bottom with a flat screwdriver and pull this piece out of the 3 clips. Leave the circular rubber piece in place (do not remove)...
20140515_230956.jpg

Here is the back of the black plastic piece with the 3 retainer clips. With it removed you can now see the 2 T-10 screws. Remove these screws and keep them for reinstalling the Yukon lights...
20140515_231202.jpg

Here is the pocket for the taillight with the taillight removed. You have 2 T-10 screws and 2 guide pins for each taillight. You can now see the black plastic retainer piece below the light already in place ready for the Yukon tail...
20140515_2250002.jpg

Here is the harness connection which can be accessed by laying flat on the ground from underneath the taillight. Would someone be willing to take a picture of this connection on their Yukon so I can see the wiring color order please?...
20140516_1203002.jpg
20140516_1203352.jpg

One of each installed (night running lights)...
20140515_230222.jpg

Both Yukon tails installed (night running lights)...
20140515_233222.jpg

Final product in the daylight...
20140516_121546.jpg
20140516_121534.jpg

Pockets

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do like the Yukon lights better but have no clue on the operation to make them work properly. Hopefully someone with some knowledge will chime in

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i do like the yukon lights better but have no clue on the operation to make them work properly. Hopefully someone with some knowledge will chime in

this!!

Steve1081

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had my tail lights out to install LED reverse bulbs. Good pictures and explanation of the process.

I will see if I can get a picture of my harness tomorrow for you.

As far as the fast blink... This is very typical when installing LED lights into a flasher module designed for incandescent bulbs. The LED doesn't draw enough current so the flasher thinks the bulb is out and goes into hyper blink. Some resistors should fix that issue. Will probably need some on the brake light as well to prevent a bulb out message.

Then you just need to get the wires switched around and you should be good to go!

Some Info on resistors:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/blog...Turn-Signals-Blinking-Too-Fast-(Hyperflashing)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YKvzwq___P4

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xKPkUnmMlok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 AM ----------

Love the body color D pillar too. Wish they put that on the Yukon!

OP
OP
jmitchell

jmitchell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stephen that would be great if you could post a pic of your connection. We are going to tear things apart this afternoon to get things working. Thanks.

Steve1081

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tumejy6a.jpg

Connector on a Yukon... Hope it helps.

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

Driver side...

OP
OP
jmitchell

jmitchell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you Stephen, we troubleshooted this afternoon and I think we've got a solution. I needed to order some specific parts and we'll have everything functional by mid week. I will post up pics and the solution when we're done.

OP
OP
jmitchell

jmitchell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the biggest differences on the Yukon vs the Tahoe light is that the Yukon has 2 separate lights for the brake lights and turn signal lights. Whereas the Tahoe just has the same bulbs functioning as the brake and turn signal lights. Therefore, the Tahoe is trying to send a signal to the same bulbs for each of these 2 functions and the Yukon light is looking for 2 separate signals which right now the Tahoe can't perform without reprogramming. Therefore, I am going to run both functions through the red LED string (brake and blinker) and ignore the use of the yellow LED's for the blinkers (Yellow LED's will not be used at all). There needs to be a resistor in this line because these functions were with incandescent bulbs on the Tahoe and now are LED with the Yukon. This will get rid of the error message on the DIC and rapid flash on the blinkers. All other functions work properly. More info to follow...

Steve1081

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting... Surprising they wouldn't have just thrown LEDs in the tahoe tails even if they kept the same look... Seems it would cost more money to have two totally separate system designs.

The price they pay to differentiate the two models I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094