Tahoe DRL Blinker Switchback LED ReWire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KiLLerSpyder

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My bad, I'm tripping for some reason... I could've swore I saw that same truck in one of your post somewhere. I went and looked and NOPE, not there.

Soulsea's truck is sick, so is yours... His truck with it's projectors is nice, I just don't think I could spend 1500.00+ on them as nice as they are. I'm thinking about ordering a different set of canisters to maybe get a closer or a better look for 300.00 each, maybe! maybe! maybe! Merry Christmas gift to me!

KiLLerSpyder

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sure, see post #23 for the link to the switchbacks and here is the link to the VLED fogs http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/fog-lights/5202/10-led-drl-fog-light-bulbs-5202-1-pair-2957.html

I had the OPT7 bulbs you recommended and sent them back as they were to blue for me. The VLEDs are a perfect color match to the 5K switchbacks. Also if you see my avatar pic they match the Morimoto HIDs perfectly as well.

If you have any questions just let me know

Finally ordered the same bulbs as you / 5000k

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...ed-tower-b-type-wedge-retrofit-car/1777/4121/
http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/fog-lights/5202/10-led-drl-fog-light-bulbs-5202-1-pair-2969.html

Now to get the headlamps that ill need and Ill be all set!
Thanks for the info, cant wait...

Sunny

Reaction score
I couldn't find a clear write up on how to do this, figured I'd give it a shot.

[yt]O6OjKAc9e0o[/yt]

Parts:
--(2) Epoxy Rectifier Diodes #276-1141 By RadioShack
--(4) 3157 60SMD DUAL COLOR SWITCHBACK
--(2) Pico Light Bulb Sockets 5447PT
--(2) 50W 6ohm Load Resistors

1. Remove Headlight housing and wire harness
20150822_102145_zpsacvacyv4.jpg

2. Cut the wires from the DRL bulb
20150822_102501_zpsin2klsqq.jpg

3. Using a dremel tool, trim the two smaller tabs off the bulbs sockets
Normal:
20150822_102640_zpshqbk0vgo.jpg

After cutting tabs:
20150822_102924_zpsqtmmwhbv.jpg

4. Wire one side of the resistor to the negative wire that was cut from the DRL and the other side it was cut from to the negative wire on the new bulb socket
20150822_103354_zpsgrbsbwdi.jpg

5. Wire the other side of the resistor to the blue wire on the new bulb socket to the light blue wire with white stripe.
20150822_103544_zpsrvaaxopt.jpg

6. Wire the blue wire from the harness that connected to the old drl bulb socket to one side of the diode. Wire the other side to the brown wires on the blinker socket to the brown wire of the new bulb socket
20150822_103937_zps4wm8gdqa.jpg

7. Solder everything up and use heat shrink wrap to make sure nothing is touching. I put a layer of electrical tape over everything as well.
[Just realized I don't have a picture of this]

When I do my projector retrofit, I will figure out where to mount the resistor.

Hello very nice mod iam trying on 2012 tahoe i got diodes , dual led , registors my question is , can we mod the same socket or i have to get other socket for this mod thanks.

OP
OP
DWebPro

DWebPro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello very nice mod iam trying on 2012 tahoe i got diodes , dual led , registors my question is , can we mod the same socket or i have to get other socket for this mod thanks.

If I remember correctly, you need the new socket as it has three wires coming out of it. One of the two stock sockets only has 2 wires.

90PROFX

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just bought a 2011 Tahoe. This thread has me really interested in doing this mod, but since I'll be pulling the headlight buckets out, I might as well LED every light up front. I didn't see a mention of the best LED high beam bulbs to use, anyone have some feedback on that. Thanks

OP
OP
DWebPro

DWebPro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just bought a 2011 Tahoe. This thread has me really interested in doing this mod, but since I'll be pulling the headlight buckets out, I might as well LED every light up front. I didn't see a mention of the best LED high beam bulbs to use, anyone have some feedback on that. Thanks

IMO, there is no "best" bulbs to use, its all up to what you like. Some like the whiter color bulbs, others like the blueish colored bulbs.

90PROFX

Reaction score
IMO, there is no "best" bulbs to use, its all up to what you like. Some like the whiter color bulbs, others like the blueish colored bulbs.

First off let me say: EXCELLENT WRITE UP ON DOING THIS MOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I've gathered all the parts you've suggested, I did change one part, the DRL socket. I wasn't real fond of having just one locking tab engaged to seal the socket to the housing. I found a 3 wire that has the full locking tabs that'll fit perfectly after filing down the outside diameter of the locking tabs. The diameter is a little too big, simple hand file to knock .025 off each side and they'll fit perfect and provide a 100% seal......."BUT" this does bring about another problem, the wire color of this plug is obviously different than the one you used and that's where I'm having a little problem trying to figure it all out. I'm no electrician by any stretch, and need all the help I can get. If you can provide me with enough information I can make out a simple to follow color coded wiring diagram that would become a true DIY project and post it up here for all to use as I did notice there were a few still confused on the wiring.

Thanks again for the mod....:)

DRL%20socket%202_zpsttdv5xdl.jpg

DRL%20socket%201_zpszyllhcmf.jpg

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off let me say: EXCELLENT WRITE UP ON DOING THIS MOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I've gathered all the parts you've suggested, I did change one part, the DRL socket. I wasn't real fond of having just one locking tab engaged to seal the socket to the housing. I found a 3 wire that has the full locking tabs that'll fit perfectly after filing down the outside diameter of the locking tabs. The diameter is a little too big, simple hand file to knock .025 off each side and they'll fit perfect and provide a 100% seal......."BUT" this does bring about another problem, the wire color of this plug is obviously different than the one you used and that's where I'm having a little problem trying to figure it all out. I'm no electrician by any stretch, and need all the help I can get. If you can provide me with enough information I can make out a simple to follow color coded wiring diagram that would become a true DIY project and post it up here for all to use as I did notice there were a few still confused on the wiring.

Thanks again for the mod....:)

DRL%20socket%202_zpsttdv5xdl.jpg

DRL%20socket%201_zpszyllhcmf.jpg
You can use process of elimination. If you have the bulbs already, plug one in and use a 9 volt and test that way first. Black is usually ground, so hold the black to negative on the battery, then try the red to positive. If it lights up white then you'll know the green wire will be the turn signal. If it lights up amber, then the opposite.

OP
OP
DWebPro

DWebPro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am no electrician either... This is me just providing my .02...

The black wire on the socket you have should be the negative, I am going to say the red wire on your socket would be the blue wire on the socket I used, and the green wire on your socket would be the brown wire on the socket I used. Worst case, you would need to swap the red wire and green wire on your socket to the brown and blue sires on the socket I used.

Based on what I think you are asking, what colors from the socket you used would be the same as how I wired everything up... you would have to test my hypothesis to make sure the wire combinations line up.

I am curious to see what you come up with!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne