Tahoe converted to a truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I don't get it. Hey, check it out! You cargo area can get rained on now!

Either make it into a hot tub, at least use a burb like @07Burb said, or graft a full bed on there.

Why wouldn't you just buy a crew cab?

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't get it. Hey, check it out! You cargo area can get rained on now!

Either make it into a hot tub, at least use a burb like @07Burb said, or graft a full bed on there.

Why wouldn't you just buy a crew cab?
plenty of my buddies do well with their Tundra Crewmax 4.5' beds and bed extender. I have seen a few of these customs in person and they are done decently with a structural frame, back wall/glass, and tailgate.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Around here older SUVs are cheap right now I have 3-99 4dr Tahoe’s. So here’s my idea: With one I’d like to remove the rear glass and cut 1/2 the box off along the mid seam. I would patch the rear door handles and I have a fiberglass tonneau cover to install.. after installing a rear window I would effectively be converting the hoe into a short bed truck... has anybody tried this??

So its a short wheel base, with more rear passenger room. Its not a short bed, its a … mini bed.
A OBS crew cab from front bumper to back of cab is 148.5
A OBS Tahoe is 199" length.
So even if you do perfect cuts without losing any seat room, you get 50.5" from behind the seat through your back door/tailgate and then bumper. You might get 42" for a bed?? = 3 1/2ft bed. With the cab cut probably closer to 3ft. A NBS crew cab short bed is 69" = 5' 9".

Sell three tahoes and buy a crew cab. To me this is about as silly as the Subaru baja.

Looks like a lot of work so you can move your coach standing on its side.

No way in hell would I ever be affiliated with this..
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/d/1987-suburban/6705822660.html

Last edited:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:lol:

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can see some benefits. If you prefer the maneuverability of the shorter wheelbase, and don't have to haul anything too big, it might be worth it. It'd be pretty unique, if that floats your boat, and have the fabrication skills to do it right. With a proper tailgate and bed extender, it might be pretty versatile.

If you contemplate modding a Suburban that way, you might as well trade it for an Avalanche. It's built on the same chassis. And all the work has already been done. Plus you get the mid-gate and bed cover for more-or-less waterproof capacity for full sheets of plywood, etc. I test drove one prior to buying my Yukon. But I decided I'd rather have the short wheelbase on a daily basis. And I have a trailer for big/dirty stuff...

...and I wanted a 6.2L :evillol:

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i cant see a purpose myself as they already make the avalanche. if you have the time and funds to do this and actually do a decent job at it you can probably afford to just buy one. but i geuss if someone has nothing better to do and wants to do it whatever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011