Tahoe Column Shifter Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phone Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a quick write up on how to replace a broken column shifter after not finding anything on the web. It is simple enough to get done in about an hour or 2.

You will need:

Torx driver in sizes 20 and 30, a small blade screw driver, large blade screw driver, thread locker and some patience.

Use the Torx 20 driver to remove the bottom piece of the column cover. There are 2 screws. Slide the cover BACK and DOWN. You will notice after it has a hook on either side so don't force it out. No need to remove the top cover.

Remove the tilt adjuster by pulling straight out.

Remove the instrument cover.

There are 3 Torx 30 screws holding the shifter in and 1 Torx 30 holding in the shifter handle. Also there is a cable going to the back of the ignition switch and 2 nylon ball joints that connect the shifter cable and brake pedal.

The cable snaps in and you use a small blade screw driver to push in the snap piece in and pull back and out.

The nylon ball joints get pried off with a larger flat blade screw driver and simply snap back on the new unit.

Install the unit. Put some thread locker on the screws.

After you get the unit back in, you may need to adjust the shifter cable at the transmission which is a lot easier than you think. If it doesn't go into park all the way use the procedure below. If it does, then check the range of the shifter and make sure it goes into all gears.

Put the shifter into park. Looking at the tranny, the bottom of the shifter lever should be all the way forward and the cable looking fully extended, which is park.

The cable snaps onto the lever with a ball joint. Carefully pry it off.

There is a black, sliding retainer clip that covers a white locking button.

The adjuster seems to be spring loaded. Move the black clip forward and carefully push out the white clip just a little.

The end of the cable will move forward which in essence extends the length of the cable which gives the shifter more throw. But keep in mind you may be making it harder to go into low if it is too long.

Push the white locking button in and slide back the black clip. Snap the cable back onto the shifter.

Check the shifter range.

Done.

Attachments

• P1000363.jpg
    P1000363.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 310
  • P1000364.jpg
    P1000364.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 282
  • P1000365.jpg
    P1000365.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 324
  • P1000366.jpg
    P1000366.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 317
  • P1000367.jpg
    P1000367.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 288

deadbronco850

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Let's say mine is as bad as the one mentioned in your close-up photo...broken in exactly the same spot as a matter of fact....where do I even start? I will go ahead and say I am nowhere near as skilled as most users here, but I can do some basic repairs on most older vehicles.

But yeah....mine is broken in exactly that same spot where the eyelet is cracked off. I guess this will involve pulling the steering wheel...

OP
OP
Phone Man

Phone Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to Rockauto.com DORMAN Part # 905101

Also keep in mind that if it feels too tight even after the new part is put in, you may need a new shifter cable. Get the ACDELCO version. I just replaced mine a few months ago and the difference is night and day. It shifts so smooth and effortlessly I have to go slowly or else I pass D. It was the reason the shifter mechanism broke in the first place... too much pressure on everything to move the cable.

Last edited:

unek_one

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
mine did the exact thing and broke the same way. Exactly like your pictures. This seems to be a common thing among yukons? I never put the cables back though

Eirik

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I also got the same problem, what did you do with the bracket on the steering column? Did you buy a new mounting bracket? Im trying to find one, but i cant find it. I got tahoe LT1500 1999 6,5D

Matt Berg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine broke exactly the same, how do you get the mounting plate off of the column?

OP
OP
Phone Man

Phone Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never got that deep into the column so I didnt change out that mounting point. I'm not sure that it can be changed. But, since changing out the cable, it moves smooth throughout the shifting range. The whole reason everything broke was because the cable was bad and that made it hard to move the shifter thus putting a lot of pressure on those cast aluminum parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt