Tahoe Clear Coat failing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Terry Voots

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've noticed my 2008 hood has failing clear coat. I started looking at the same thing on lots of Tahoe and GM vehicles. It seems Chevy had some serious quality issues. To my knowledge an owner can't do much wrong that causes this problem. Wow what a disappointment to know chevy did such a bad job. There seems to be a mess of cars from chevy with the same failure. Are they going to fix it?

Last edited:

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've noticed my 2008 hood has failing clear coat. I started looking at the same thing on lots of Tahoe and GM vehicles. It seems Chevy had some serious quality issues. To my knowledge an owner can't do much wrong that causes this problem. Wow what a disappointment to know chevy did such a bad job. There seems to be a mess of cars from chevy with the same failure. Are they going to fix it?

Next time I will avoid chevy and GM, I should have bought a Ford

:welcome: to TYF. There's a TON of people with 2008 and MUCH older who's paint is still perfect. Owners can neglect their clear coat, not wax/wash their vehicle, and many other things that could effect the hood. I really wouldn't be blaming GM on this....

OP
OP
T

Terry Voots

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
:welcome: to TYF. There's a TON of people with 2008 and MUCH older who's paint is still perfect. Owners can neglect their clear coat, not wax/wash their vehicle, and many other things that could effect the hood. I really wouldn't be blaming GM on this....

No your wrong, your assumptions about car care are incorrect. My Tahoe got waxed every three months. I am extremely careful to keep it clean. I kept more than one Volvo 15 years plus with no issue. My 95 Jeep still has good paint. This was a GM poor Quality issue. the paint job sucks. I am above average when it comes to taking care of cars.

I have had 2 Volvo's go 500K mile or more. My Jeep is just under 400k.

Chevy has a Quality issue on this color.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 2002 tahoe clearcoat is still pretty much good the only place the clearcoat chipped was on the hood was from rock chips and its only bbeen waxed maybe a dozen times throughout the life of the vehicle
here in arizona we have hard water and its ****** on anypaintjob

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Should have bought a Ford? Thats just an ignorant statement. All vehicles have their issues. Above average when taking care of vehicles would probably wax it more often than every 3 months. So it might have had bad paint on the hood. That is NOT a common issue with GM. Shit happens, get it repainted for a few hundred bucks, problem solved.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Welcome to TYF.

GM Paint is actually quite decent quality and thickness as of these recent years.

You want to talk of "bad" paint...... technically thin and/or soft......... go get a Honda or a Nissan. Hondas are known for poor paint. Nissans have a gay feature called "self healing paint". Its soft paint that is supposed to cure itself in sunlight. It mostly just gets scratched up from washings.

When you talk of clearcoat failure....... you mean like the clear is bubbling and peeling, or fading off?

2600_8_30_06OG003.jpg

This. :hmmm2:

He is not "wrong". There are many factors that can affect paint life.

Are you the first owner?

I have a 2002 Suburban that I bought brand new, has zero paint issues, even though it was parked outside for the first 8 years.

Proper paint care goes a long way.

Oh, and about Fords.

How about a 2008 Ford Econoline 15 passenger with a ENTIRE roof clear coat paint peeling at 30K miles all along the outer perimeter? That's a defect....

Fact is sometimes you just have to man up and fix crap. Yes, it sucks.

Be thankful you don't have other problems like a cracked dash, door handles peel, cracked dipsticks, bad airbags, pinched battery cables, bad wheels bearings, leaks..........

Actually. You might want to trade it in while you are money ahead, cause all that happened to me.

Last edited:

SUSAN SALLEE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Tahoe that I purchased new from dealer. I had also purchased a protection plan with Finishing touch that they talked us into when we bought the car on the paint and interior. 3.5 years into ownership the paint on the hood and roof faded. We contacted the protection plan and they were more than willing to take care of. They sent an adjuster out and he classified as clear coat failure. Then the run around started. I contacted Chevrolet and I contacted the dealership. We took the car to the dealership and talked with the assistant manager in the service department. He brought out the manager and he confirmed that it was paint failure. So then the dealership gets involved with Chevrolet. The first call comes back and says they will cover 20%. I told them that some one was going to cover the repairs and it won't be me. They sold me a protection plan through Finishing touch for the paint and the interior so someone needs to cover the damage. After a few days I get a call stating that between the dealership, Chevrolet and Finishing touch it would be repaired at no cost.
Now it gets better. We took the vehicle back to the dealership to have the hood and the roof repainted. After a week at the body shop the car is ready to be picked up. We walk up to the car and it is all shiny and looking good. But the color doesn't match. We call the service manager out and he says he can't see the issue. The Tahoe is a Brownstone Metallic and the hood is more bronze than the rest of the vehicle. He tells me he can get the paint manager to come speak to me because he can't see the problem. This is a overcast day so it doesn't show really bright but my husband and I can see the difference. While we are waiting for the manager from the body shop to arrive we walk around the vehicle. On the driver side of the vehicle is fresh scratches on the rear quarter panel with redish paint. The scratches are all the way down to the metal. My vehicle had no damage except for the paint failure when I dropped it off. Now I really hot under the collar. The paint manager arrives. He sees what we are talking about with the color off. He says it needs to be blended. The service manager pops up and says that Chevrolet only agreed to repaint and not blend the paint into the fenders. I told him the paint needs to match. His remark is it looks better than it did. I told him I will go after Chevrolet. He kind of steps back and then the body shop manager says he will take care of it. Then we show them the new damage. The service manager is just stepping farther back. When we dropped the car off they took a video of the car so there is proof of no scratches on the body. So then the body shop manager wants to know when we can drop it off. We live 2.5 hours away from the dealership and I just handed the key fob to the body shop manager and said I refuse the car and it needs to be fixed correctly. I am then told that they will try and match the paint and because I live so far away they will deliver it to me. What a nice gesture. Not going to happen. I refuse to have it delivered and have the possibility of not being satisfied and having to accept it as is.
I am calling Chevrolet back tomorrow and letting them know about the recent developments and filing another complaint. The car is 3.5 years old, the paint is not oxidized and this should not be an issue of matching the paint. The hood and roof should not be lighter than the rest of the vehicle.
Now I will be waiting to see what the new repairs are going to look like. I paid 70k for this car and it has been my pride and joy. To see if damaged and an eyesore is heartbreaking.
We bought the vehicle in Elk Grove at Maita Chevrolet. GM has had paint issues for many years. The first round of law suits that happened they had to repaint and the warranted for 6 years. Quietly they have reduced the coverage to 3 years/36k miles. My car is 3.5 years old with 61k miles.
I have made 3 trip so far and have been without the vehicle for a week now. They are not giving me a loaner so I am without a vehicle. Not a happy camper. If it doesn't look good after repairs I will be refusing again.
Susan

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi @SUSAN SALLEE,

I'm sure someone will be able to chime in for you.

I deleted the duplicate post one the other thread cause we don't like to have crossposting.

If you would like to start your own new thread on this to get more eyes on your issue you're welcome to do so.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Yikes! Dlr still have ur vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. I usually also post something about putting all your vehicle info in your signature but with the way you are talking I don't think you will keep your Tahoe much longer so I don't think my reminder is needed. I have an 02 Tahoe. 2nd owner. It has clear coat coming off only on the driver's side front and rear door at the top of the doors. The rest is fine. I think it had to do with where it was parked in the sun by the previous owner. I can't be certain though. I saw the paint/clear problems GM had back in the late 80's and early 90's but if I bought all my vehicles just for their paint, I may still be looking. I have owned only one Ford truck in my life and all other rigs have been GM. I buy for the looks, the performance and the comfort. I can't fault GM for that at all. I don't care if my 02 has clear problems all over the rig. I will just pay to have it painted and redone. I am even looking into a wrap on it but found that to be expensive too. I would not get rid of my 02 for anything. I may buy something else and have 2 rigs but the 02 stays put.