Tahoe Buying Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

captquin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking at getting a new (to me) ride and thinking of a 2018-2020 Tahoe. I currently have an 08 Sierra, but a lot has changed since then.

Anything I should be on the lookout for?? The AMF on my truck was horrible. Are there any systemic issues with these model years? Most seem to have the 5.3L.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

There is a nice 2005 Z71 Tahoe waiting for you in the Vehicles For Sale section....

shock

Reaction score
The 18-20 5.3 6-speed (def most common) seems to have all the bugs worked out from the earlier years.

AFM seems to not cause nearly as many issues as previous years either. Some disable with a Range device or a tune. I went the route of an extended service contract so I am leaving it be.

Direct injection engines can be prone to build up and such. There’s a cleaning procedure that can be done to resolve that. Some install a “catch can” to pre-empt issues with direct injection.

Modern cars are simply complicated and expensive to fix as a result. I don’t think the Tahoe, esp 18-20, will give you any more headaches than any other modern car.

Last edited:

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thinks its luck of the draw no matter what you buy. I have zero issues with my 2019 6.2 and don't personally know of anyone that has had any issues but I see them posted all the time. I think if you take good care of whatever you drive it will be OK. My Vette is also a 6.2 and never missed a beat. Its not driven often but when it is, its pounded.

jared999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at getting a new (to me) ride and thinking of a 2018-2020 Tahoe. I currently have an 08 Sierra, but a lot has changed since then.

Anything I should be on the lookout for?? The AMF on my truck was horrible. Are there any systemic issues with these model years? Most seem to have the 5.3L.
The most common things that I have seen are electrical (big surprise) and out of those, issues with the power steering. I wouldn't say they plague the models, but there is a small chance it could happen to you. Chevy has service bulletins out dealing specifically with steering issues. I'd try to make sure the TSBs are done on any one that you buy.

jared999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thinks its luck of the draw no matter what you buy.
I agree with this

I think if you take good care of whatever you drive it will be OK.
Good general advice, with exceptions of course. Some models, no matter what maintenance you do, will break down. In my experience that would be higher end Mercedes Benz and BMWs, which I will never buy again. I hear the range rover /land rovers are poor in reliability, too. But I don't say that from personal experience on those.

Last edited:

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL....I put my wife and kids all in BMW's. I have 3 in the stable now and new or used never had any serious issues with any of them. I had a Benz a long time ago that I put almost 300k on, same thing, ran perfect but you do have to stay on top of them and oil changes area paramount. Maybe I'm just an old gear head but I am religious on high quality oil and filter changes, air filters, plugs, etc.

jared999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL....I put my wife and kids all in BMW's. I have 3 in the stable now and new or used never had any serious issues with any of them. I had a Benz a long time ago that I put almost 300k on, same thing, ran perfect but you do have to stay on top of them and oil changes area paramount. Maybe I'm just an old gear head but I am religious on high quality oil and filter changes, air filters, plugs, etc.
Religiously changing the oil and filters isn't going to help with their poorly designed electrical systems.

I had numerous issues with the last 2 BMWs that I owned. Those problems weren't limited to electrical, either. If you haven't had problems, consider yourself lucky

Last edited: