Tahoe 2012 making ticking noise on cold start and accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wayfarer9000

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys. So i bought a tahoe 2012 5.3 2wd recently and it has ticking noise on cold start for about 30 seconds and then when i start accelerating but stops when the car is in motion but even when in motion if i accelerate the noise comes back. Any thoughts?? Just a little background. I did injector cleaning. Spark plugs and wires changed. Oil changed. Oil pan gasket changed. But it didn’t have the ticking noise until the mechanic changed the rear main seal with the part it is attached to.

any help would be highly appreciated

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are approximately one billion possibilities. Make a video with your phone, post it on YouTube, and link it back here. Most likely candidates:

Exhaust manifold leak
Noisy lifter
Piston slap (normal on these)

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are approximately one billion possibilities. Make a video with your phone, post it on YouTube, and link it back here. Most likely candidates:

Exhaust manifold leak
Noisy lifter
Piston slap (normal on these)
injector noise

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
If the mechanic took the transmission out he had to remove the exhaust. My bet is on it being one of the seals where the pipes meet the manifolds. Might be as simple as tightening the nuts. Take it back to him or do it yourself but do it soon. Driving it with it leaking is burning the gasket/seal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2