Sway bar link install, Suburb 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, This sounds entirely stupid, but I'm having issues with replacing my sway bar links. SMH. I've done this before, but the damn sway bar refuses to budge while trying to get the new links in.

So I bought the moog bolt 'n nut type links;
MOOG K80631 https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1194992&cc=1433420

But its like the bolt is an inch too short. There is zero thread accessible when I get the top bushing on, much less the nut.

Ok, so I went to O'Reilly, and got some sway bar links for a Silverado 2500 HD which have the elongated nut much like these:
MOOGK700539 https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4202364&cc=1433420

Obviously, I can get that to thread, and it works pretty well, except it's loose because the threads on the bolt don't go down low enough. It's not really tight, and I am getting some clacking/knocking when I hit bumps and stuff.

I was feeling stupid, because again, these are just sway bar links...I even watched the 1A Auto video on sway bar links for the platform, and they use a jack to push the suspension up while installing the new links...but I am doing this on the ground where the truck is sitting fully on the suspension.

What gives...what am I missing? Before I take it to my mechanic to figure out what this clacking noise is, I want to get the right sway bar links installed and tested.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Are you doing it with both front wheels on the ground or with one side jacked up?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
loosen the inside bushing(s) a little, have both wheels off the ground with a jack or stands

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You use the suspension to preload the bushings. With both front wheels in the air, and one side of the sway bar still connected, you put a jack under the control arm of the opposite side. The free hanging side will keep torsion on the sway bar which helps compress the bushings on the side you're lifting with the floor jack.

OP
OP
Derick

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok finally done...and screw these moog sway bar links. They are like 1/2 inch too short and just a bit more material would make it 1000 times easier to install.

The key was pre smashing two of the rubber ends in the vice and leaving them for about 25 minutes. Then hopping under and putting it all together quickly before they expanded.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do both sides at once with the front level, the sway bar moves freely up and down. Really isn’t too bad that way. I ended up using poly ones off my 70 Buick because I got new control arms for it that mount differently. They’re about 1-1.5” shorter than the stock ones if I recall.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You use the suspension to preload the bushings. With both front wheels in the air, and one side of the sway bar still connected, you put a jack under the control arm of the opposite side. The free hanging side will keep torsion on the sway bar which helps compress the bushings on the side you're lifting with the floor jack.
that makes no sense, you would be fighting the sway bar the entire time, this job is VERY easy, jack up the front end on the frame or under crossmember so both wheels are off the ground, remove both old end links, then you just loosen the center D bushings, connect one end link (leave it loosely connected) go to other end put the end link on, tighten it all up your done. 1 man job

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that makes no sense, you would be fighting the sway bar the entire time, this job is VERY easy, jack up the front end on the frame or under crossmember so both wheels are off the ground, remove both old end links, then you just loosen the center D bushings, connect one end link (leave it loosely connected) go to other end put the end link on, tighten it all up your done. 1 man job

Not fighting it at all, the suspension is free hanging to start. You missed the part in the original post where he said he didnt have enough thread and had to compress the bushings. Your method doesnt resolve that.

Many ways to skin a cat :cheers:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not fighting it at all, the suspension is free hanging to start. You missed the part in the original post where he said he didnt have enough thread and had to compress the bushings. Your method doesnt resolve that.

Many ways to skin a cat :cheers:
I think the initial problem was he had the wrong end links if you are having to compress a small rubber fitting to even get them on then somethings not quit right